The "LHO", OVERKILL's '89 TC Cartier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "LHO", OVERKILL's '89 TC Cartier

This car began life in the same town it now resides. The original owner was the owner of Eaton's here, who bought a new TC every two or so years. They were always Cartier's. My father was teaching at the local University around this time, but was offered a tenure stream appointment at an East Coast University. To celebrate his new job, he took my grandfather's advice (my mom's dad) and went and purchased a Lincoln. The car had been traded in a few days prior and was at this point approximately two years old with something like 34,000Km on the odometer. It was love at first sight.

The car was garage stored pretty much it's entire life, doing many Ontario-to-Maritimes and the other way around trips during the course of it's life.

Dad had very few issues with the car, and it always worked well for being a vehicle of it's size and mass. It was a factory single exhaust car and dad never felt the need to change that, even though I bugged him about it.

As the years rolled by, there were a couple of issues with the car, I can pretty much recount the entire car's history from memory.....

-Rear brake line burst on the way home from work in the late 90's
    -Oil pan rotted out and was replaced in 1998
    -Upper ball-joint on drivers-side was replaced in 1999
    -Frost-Plug on passenger side blew-out draining engine, ECM killed the engine's power, dad was left on the side of the road in need of a tow. 2000
    -Rad hose blew out the next year, same scenario. 2001
    -Alternator died, was replaced with the "baby" version, car barely charged at idle, dad didn't know any better.
    -TV cable developed slack, car wouldn't downshift when floored. Dad's mechanic worked on it, but didn't know the correct procedure for adjusting it.
    -TFI module died, left car stranded in 2001
    -Coil wiring harness developed a break in one of the wires in 1996, needed to be fixed.
    -Air shock "popped" and needed to be replaced on passenger side in the rear. 1998

That's pretty much it.

In 2005 I got a phone call (I live in Ontario) from my dad, he said he was looking at getting a new TC, that the old girl was having a few issues in recent years and he thought it was time to get rid of her for a newer version.

Since selection in the maritimes was limited, and there were no Cartier's out there (he was hell-bent on getting another Cartier) he had been looking in the autotrader in Ontario, where there seemed to be a number of them.

He found a forest Green 2003 Town Car Cartier for sale for a reasonable price about two hours from me. I went up, test drove it, found a couple of issues and the sale was pending based on those issues being fixed.

Dad then told me that I was driving the car down! So, my wife and my oldest son, who was at the time about one year old, joined me in the car for a 1,528Km trip to my parent's place on the east coast.

When we arrived, my dad surveyed his new purchase and seemed quite happy with it. After a brief tour in it, he handed me the keys for the old girl and said "she's yours!". I was shocked. I had always loved the car, but I was under the impression he was selling her. Apparently not............

Here's a pic of her when I got her:

1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Good writeup! When do we get to hear more?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Right now

After getting the car home and driving it around, and of course being a Mustang owner, I was immediately on the quest for more power. A buddy of mine, Nick, and I went wreckers shopping for some stuff (they have an all you can carry 45 dollar day) and we picked up a Crown Vic fan as well as Mark VIII fan. The CV fan wouldn't fit the car, even after some pretty heavy trimming on the shroud. I tried the Mark VIII and it dropped right in, fit like a glove.

In conjunction with the Mark VIII fan, I did the 3G alternator upgrade as well.

The results:

1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

cool tell us about your mods!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The next mod was of course the exhaust. I had been to the local wrecking yard and had done some damn good shopping.

I picked up a complete cat-back that looked pretty much brand new for $50.00.

I also got a PI driveshaft and some rear springs out of a 2003 cruiser.

The exhaust was fitted with a set of Flowmaster 40-series clones that I purchased through Nick's work, where I get stuff for jobber.

Comment

Then the issues developed.

I was visiting my friend Noah about four hours away in London. The car died in the Tim Horton's drive-through. I managed to get it restarted, but it was not getting fuel and quickly shut off again. After doing some wiggling, I got it running long enough again to get it back over to his house.

I figured TPS, but I was wrong. I put on a new TPS and it did not rectify the problem.

I checked for a PIP signal, it was there. I checked for spark, there was lots. Out of curiosity, I grabbed the salt and pepper shakers and gave them both a good squeeze, the car fired right up. AH HA! Took them apart, and inside of the one that controls the injectors, the middle post was one big nugget of corrosion! I had found the problem. I cleaned it up, use the "salt and pepper fix" on them by closing up the female sides and expanding the male sides and then dialectric greased the hell out of it and put it back together.

The car took us home. A few months later, the car began cutting out when it rained. When the TFI module was replaced when dad had the car, they had used this white looking beast. It didn't seem to like the wet. I replaced it with a bluestreak piece and it has been fine since.

Then I had a rad hose develop a pin-hole. Dad had them "all" replaced, but they missed the short one that goes from the water pump to the thermostat housing. It started leaking.

I replaced it.

I have since then had pretty much all the door actuators except for the rear passenger side fail.

The windshield was leaking, so I got some of that permatex windshield sealer, removed all the chrome trim, cleaned it all out beneath, and applied it. It fixed the problem. Re-installed the trim.

Comment

Cool write-up, but how the hell did you fit a PI driveshaft in your towny, they're shorter. Are box shafts different that aero shafts?
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Then the mod collecting began for the HO conversion that I had read about on Lincolns Online. It involved basically stock Mustang "junk", which I knew wasn't going to be much of a problem obtaining.

I purchased an Explorer intake from the Corral

I got a set of fresh E7's off a motor Nick bought from the local Mustang board for $100.00. The motor was a fresh rebuild, and the car made it like 25Km before being written-off.

I traded my TFS #1 camshaft to Nick for a set of Cobra 1.7 roller rockers and a set of HO valve covers.

I grabbed the stock TB off the wrecked motor as well.

Then I gathered all the necessary gaskets and dove in.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
                  Cool write-up, but how the hell did you fit a PI driveshaft in your towny, they're shorter. Are box shafts different that aero shafts?
                  It's not in there yet, as it's a big-yoke shaft and my yokes are small. Shafts LOOKS to be the same length, though I will measure to be 100% sure.

Comment

The motor came apart without too much drama. I discovered that the TC had a LOT more parts than the Mustang. I had the entire top-end swapped on the Mustang in two days taking my time. The TC took substantially longer.

I then discovered I needed custom-length pushrods. The heads had shorter Chevy valves in them that would have been installed when they were rebuilt. $180.00 dollars later, I had a set of Comp Pro-Magnum one-piece hardened pushrods in here.

The intake and valve covers were painted.

I put it together using the stock EGR spacer and TB initially. Here are the pics:

Good shot of the fan:

A front-shot of the car at that time:

Last edited by OVERKILL; 03-21-2007, 06:05 PM.

Comment

It ran like crap.

The EGR spacer, which I THOUGHT was sealing, must not have been. I purchased a Lightning EGR spacer (Ceramic coated) from N A on here and my buddy John took care of getting the shaft for the HO TB ready to accept the TC throttle cable bracket.

That fixed it. Car ran like a top!

I then bought some Mustang wheels from a 94 GT for it, and then discovered I needed wheel spacer. Purchased some Eibach Pro Spacers through Nick (30mm) and the wheels fit perfectly!

Pics:

I have since the Mustang wheels have been on, arranged for a set of 17x9" Cobra-R wheels for it for the summer. I'm thinking they will look good

I'll update this thread of some pics of the Cobra R's with and without rubber on them when I get them home and cleaned up.

Comment

Nice mang. You need an '86 HO plate on that upper!

The TC and CV driveshafts are the same length, it is the tranny that is different as I understand.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice TC mang. Tint that sucker and it'd be perfect, almost. Just don't let Thain or Scott try to get you to put a waffle grille on it, the waterfall is where it's at.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

nice town car, cant wait to get all the stuff round up for my wagon motor wize.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Nice write up on the Lincoln. Those 89's are nice ones with the subtle differences.
                              -Matt
                              1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Working...
                              X