No announcement yet.

1986 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed the video link... Don't use the "YouTube" Icon. It's for keeping really old posts functional. Use the video icon just to the left of the " (quote) icon. That's the one that works with the full youtube address.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I completed the 3g alt upgrade. The second time i’ve done this.

This past week I’ve been collecting the parts required to do so. I bought the alternator and connector from a guy parting out a 1994 Mustang V6 ($25) Alternator charge cable from a early 2000’s Taurus and the mega fuse ($20)

While trying to take the old 2g alternator off the bottom bolt did not want to come out, so I sprayed penetrating fluid on the bolt and worked it back and forth and eventually I was able to break it free.

The alternator fit right in, and I modified the required wiring. When its a bit warmer I plan on cleaning up the harness and completely removing the old 2g harness.
      I ordered a mega fuse holder, but it had not arrived yet, so for now I have the fuse directly bolted to the starter solenoid
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice. Definitely a worth while upgrade.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Need to do this myself. Waiting on a junkyard run to grab a connector and some donor wiring. Hoping to nail the fusible link version from a donor. Don't like the look of the fuses, even if they are more easily serviced.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The other night, I was helping a friend work on his car, and he needed a hose clamp. I brought my little variety kit of them, which I purchased at Princess Auto, and he proceeded to strip it nearly immediately. Couldn't tighten it down at all on the rad hose.

We studied the clamp and how it failed and realized it was defective from new. There are a couple things that went wrong; one, the tabs don't properly interlock on the inside of the clamp so the body around the screw can expand, and the other is the metal is super soft. They are plated to look like they might be steel but they act like they're aluminum or a very soft alloy. We tested a couple other clamps including around firm steel tubing and they all failed with very little torque on the screw.

Anyway, the reason I'm saying this here is, at least two of the clamps I used on the heater hoses of this car came out of that kit, which means they're garbage and will probably fail. Unfortunately, based on my pic of doing the work, those clamps are the ones under the upper intake. You'd probably be well advised to replace them. I'm sorry that I didn't realize they were no good when I put them on.

Current driver: wagon
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
              The other night, I was helping a friend work on his car, and he needed a hose clamp. I brought my little variety kit of them, which I purchased at Princess Auto, and he proceeded to strip it nearly immediately. Couldn't tighten it down at all on the rad hose.

We studied the clamp and how it failed and realized it was defective from new. There are a couple things that went wrong; one, the tabs don't properly interlock on the inside of the clamp so the body around the screw can expand, and the other is the metal is super soft. They are plated to look like they might be steel but they act like they're aluminum or a very soft alloy. We tested a couple other clamps including around firm steel tubing and they all failed with very little torque on the screw.

Anyway, the reason I'm saying this here is, at least two of the clamps I used on the heater hoses of this car came out of that kit, which means they're garbage and will probably fail. Unfortunately, based on my pic of doing the work, those clamps are the ones under the upper intake. You'd probably be well advised to replace them. I'm sorry that I didn't realize they were no good when I put them on.
              Cheap Chinese knockoffs?
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Bah. And humbug.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post

Noted, I’ll take care of that asap.

Comment

hose clamps are so simple you'd like to think that they aren't possible to mess up, but I have found that cheap ones just don't work well.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And often the included clamps are middling at best and typically garbage.

Comment

Swapped in Wagon springs, because the rear sat too low for my liking.
                        Last edited by 1985crownvicltd85; 02-03-2023, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Looking good.

Wasn't quite sure what that white fluffy stuff was. It doesn't snow in Virginia any more, so I hardly recognized it.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                            Looking good.

Wasn't quite sure what that white fluffy stuff was. It doesn't snow in Virginia any more, so I hardly recognized it.

I'd like to say the same, Im not a big fan of snow

Comment

Since owning this car i’ve noticed that the accelerator pedal is close to the floor so I took up some slack in the cable with zip ties, I did this to my two door when I first got it and it seems to be holding up after almost 5 years, so im hoping for the same results here.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.0 KB ID:	1385853

Next thing I noticed was the door chime wasn’t working. I removed it and noticed one of the terminals broke off. So i soldered it back on and plugged it in, There was a faint chime so I took it back off and disassembled it and I was going to put a new o-ring inside but didn’t have the correct size. So I went looking in my parts pile and found a good working one and swapped it in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.1 KB ID:	1385858Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.3 KB ID:	1385859Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.5 KB ID:	1385860Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.7 KB ID:	1385861
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by 1985crownvicltd85; 02-05-2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Update, finally found a trunk carpet, and package tray. I installed those the other day. Also, replaced the door switch assembly face plates with better looking ones. This weekend I should be getting the 5.0 top plate and distributor boot.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X