Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 speed Hillbilly SUV (finally!)... (well sorta..)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed Hillbilly SUV (finally!)... (well sorta..)

Well, everything lined up today and the project I have been putting off for years finally got underway.
    I took Herk (short for Herkimer the HillbillySUV) for a quick spin around town this morning picke up a few items and then pulled it in front of my barn.

While I was taking things apart I discovered a few interesting things.
    First of all the aod had a big smear of that yellow junkyard pain on top of it. No big surprise there, but I was surprised to discover that the driveshaft had been shortened a bit, and had a 91+ yoke on it. (yay, don't need to buy one now!) Also there was a mystery bracket that ran between the drivers side of the block down to the bell housing on the aod about where the bolt for the inspection cover was. I have worked on several panthers and never seen one. (No pics because I haven't found my digi cam yet) I got everything out without much hassle, aside from dropping the aod and spillng enough transmission fluid to give a tree hugger type a heart attack. Too bad I don't have some sort of furnace that burns used oil, that aod seems to have enough in it to heat my house for a week.

At any rate the tranny went in with a little help from my next door neighbor. Everything is back in and bolted together. I just need to cut the hole inthe floor for the shifter, and rig up the clutch pedal and I will be in business.
    Since freshmeat decided to part out his 5 speed wagon, I think this makes me the only one around here with a t5 wagon.

Hopefully I willget some time to work on it tomorrow or monday. I'll try to get some pics up then.

P.S. It has been a while since I have wrestled transmissions in and out of a car, my arms feel like they are going to fall off! Now for some tylenol an a long hot shower.

Good night all!
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

that bracket you're talking about, between the engine block and the tranny, it's supposed to be there, at least all Lincolns have it

Comment

Thte bracket is a structurall part to help with the load on the bell housing. Mine got tossed in a box because the headers would not clear it.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
      X