Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• murphmobile2
    replied
    Why not maybe a towing cam? They're geared more towards lower rpm's for pulling anyways, correct? Shouldn't hurt the mileage, just help move it better off the line...

Leave a comment:

• Brown_Muscle
    replied
    I'll consider a cam, but since I'm building for fuel economy as well, and the stock cam doesn't do half bad, I may wait and see.

As far as I'm aware (never had the intake and heads off before) It is not drilled. There is a small possibility it has the castings that can be drilled and tapped, however since it's at least a decade before they started using them in the 351, i doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• 88Vic
    replied
    Get a bigger cam in it too, even a newer off the shelf cam will have more low-mid range than the HO cam does. Is the 82 engine drilled for roller lifters/cam?

Leave a comment:

• Bobcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    Yeah, wish I had a reading from when it was stock...

we will see what some ported GT40-Ps and a 4bbl intake and carb do
    Wooooo!!!

Leave a comment:

• Brown_Muscle
    replied
    Yeah, wish I had a reading from when it was stock...

we will see what some ported GT40-Ps and a 4bbl intake and carb do

Leave a comment:

• johnunit
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    The stock engine was horribly crippled in terms of airflow, both in and out. I can believe that much gain from letting it breathe a bit.
    Yeah, now that I think about it the discrepancy is probably that I had to handicap the engine elsewhere to get stock HP down to 180 in the simulator. There was no input for just how uneven and pinched-down the exhaust manifolds are, just an average internal diameter. Even with probably giving the stock exhaust too much credit, the simulator always spat out 17-20hp on fairly stock 351w's by going to the BBK mustang shorties and a 2.5" catted system. Either way, good to know that the mods give strong gains and the holley 2 barrel swap makes at least as much power as the stock carb.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    The stock engine was horribly crippled in terms of airflow, both in and out. I can believe that much gain from letting it breathe a bit.

Leave a comment:

• johnunit
    replied
    From everything I've been able to find, I should have the same cam as the police 85's. Not sure if 82's had the earlier smaller cam.

I will say that, assuming you were locked up in 3rd and all the corrections were reasonable, you are putting down 10-15 more HP than I'd come up with from my engine sim software I had a couple years ago. I had my setup (variable venturi carb, underdrive pulleys, otherwise like yours) showing as about 203hp to the crank. Conversion factor has you somewhere around 215hp. In other words, unless I really screwed something up in my inputs your engine is making strong numbers for what it is. 30HP+ from a non-performance carb swap, shorties, and exhaust is a killer gain.

Leave a comment:

• Brown_Muscle
    replied
    yeah, headers, 2.25" mustang catted h-pipe, and 2.5" all the way to the tails. No idea if the carb I put on there helped at all, possibly. it's only...350cfm i believe.

I would love to see what yours would put down. the 351 police engine apparently had a "High Output" cam. so it would be interesting to see what a civi 351 puts out, especially a post '84 one
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 08-14-2014, 10:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johnunit
    replied
    that's with the headers and duals, right?

Leave a comment:

• Brown_Muscle
    replied
    OH yeah! We went to a dyno at SF (Thanks to Ryan!) I pulled 171 HP and 274 ft-lb of torque, higher numbers than i was expecting. Here is a picture of the pulls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1276207

Leave a comment:

• johnunit
    replied
    Sweet! Now you gotta find some school buses stuck on train tracks or something to test it all out.

Leave a comment:

• SVT98t
    replied
    no dyno numbers?

-ryan s.

Leave a comment:

• Brown_Muscle
    replied
    Had a great time at Scottfest, no hiccups!

Had cheesesteakjim AKA Nick fabricate up and weld some new push bumper brackets. I was very impressed by his work, and the way it all came together!
    I wanted it so that everything was removable, in case I wanted it to look as though a push bar was never there, and also never touch the bumper, as the new one I will be putting on is close to perfect. Highly recommend him!

Also waxed the car today...looks a lot better than it did at SF!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1276199Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1276200Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2275.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1276201Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1276202Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1276203Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1276204Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2288.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1276205Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2289.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1276206

Leave a comment:

• Brown_Muscle
    replied
    Oh i think more like 3 or 4 max lol. The trans leaks out the front and rear seal as well. but not enough for me to do anything about it...

86VickyLx took a ride today and compared it to his silverfox VB, that made me happy to hear.

I just have to go over everything really well before my 600+ mile trip to Connecticut and PA, breaking down then would NOT be fun..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X