TL's new Daily Driver *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TL's new Daily Driver *DUW*

So, got a smoking deal today on a new DD. It's monthly payment is equal to roughly 2 weeks of fuel in the POS, so I can spare the car of another Indiana salty winter and can continue to work on it.

As is typical of any new car I have taken delivery of, it was raining/sleeting today. Here it is:

'08 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Manual. Obsidian Black

Pearl on Ivory cloth.

I just got it home, so underhood/undercar pics will come later. It has everything I need, and some things I don't. I know I now have 3 black cars now, which I have to admit is weird, but it is by chance and not design. I am not sure what people are thinking putting an ivory interior in the car. You can see my towel on the floor until I get some all-season mats.

No it's not a WRX, but it's $7k cheaper than one, and the insurance is 1/2 of what a WRX would be. Maybe next time. I am looking forward to AWD drifting this winter...

Nice Greg I like it. so you enjoying the new car smell while it last?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Nice! As I recall, the manual trans versions of those have a 45/55 front/rear torque distribution...nicer than the auto trans versions, which are I believe 90/10. It's a bit generic looking, but heck, I'd drive it.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
        Nice Greg I like it. so you enjoying the new car smell while it last?
        I don't know. Ever since we came back from Florida a few weeks ago, both Stacey and I cannot breath. Damn steel mills.

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
        Nice! As I recall, the manual trans versions of those have a 45/55 front/rear torque distribution...nicer than the auto trans versions, which are I believe 90/10. It's a bit generic looking, but heck, I'd drive it.
        I actually have no clue on the torque split. I do know it has a viscous clutch in there, instead of an electro-hydraulic clutch like the autos. It might be 50/50 until one end loses grip. I am unsure how much power it can transfer.

I thought it was ugly as hell when I first saw it, but it's starting to grow on me. It's mechanicals have a lot more character than any of it's competitors I was looking at. One startup of that throbbing boxer motor is enough to tell you it's definitely quirky. I am looking forward to the look on Stacey's face the first time she sits in it and starts it up. I got it for much less than the lower-equipped Civics, Sentras, Versas, and Foci I have looked at. I'll tell you, it was hard not getting a WRX, but I kept thinking in my head, "Keep is cheap, keep it cheap". This dealer also had 4 WRX Sti's, very rare for out here in Indiana, much less Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
          It's mechanicals have a lot more character than any of it's competitors I was looking at.
          My thoughts exactly. I would be looking at trying to pick up a used Outback or something, except the resale value on those things is so high I can't hardly afford it.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

scoobydoo!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Very nice. Set of WRX STi rims would really set it off, but I take it your gonna keep this one stock. I wish I could afford to insure a new car, price of the cars not really the problem now a days...
              sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
              Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
              Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
              1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

Originally posted by 91LTDProject View Post
                Very nice. Set of WRX STi rims would really set it off, but I take it your gonna keep this one stock. I wish I could afford to insure a new car, price of the cars not really the problem now a days...
                Funny you should mention that. Here's an e-mail from a friend from earlier today:

Me:
                Hey there. Sold the Mark VIII so here is the new daily driver:
                Friend:
                Nice, I have a set of like new STI wheels and tires, stock take offs from 06,also exhaust and maybe some other
                stuff, i will look!

Me:
                Cool. That would spruce up the car quite a bit. How have you been, by the way? We need to hang out sometime once the weather is nicer.
                Seems some things could already be on the way. If they are gold, I'm not gonna do it. This is the same friend that wants me to buy his polished Weiand 8-71 for my POS. I wanted to keep this stock, but was already thinking of a head unit upgrade, too LOL. Why can't I just leave anything alone?

Insurance isn't bad once you're over 25, and have a house and 3 cars insured with the same agency. Not too long ago it was more to insure just my POS than everything I have.

I think new cars are pricey, but you're right about the insurance. I called my insurance company before I went to the dealer and ran a few VINs, one for the car I bought, and the other for a WRX. The WRX was almost twice as much to insure. It's also $7k more and should be run on premium. I was tempted today, but after seeing the numbers I am happy with the actual outcome.

Comment

Seems some things could already be on the way. If they are gold, I'm not gonna do it.
                  I love the gold wheels the STi's come with, but more often than not people find them ugly. Powdercoatings pretty cheap, you could make em any color you want.
                  sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
                  Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
                  Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
                  1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

My friend with the wheels has a lift at his house, so swapping them on wouldn't take long. I'll try it out next time I'm out there. I think it will be ugly, but I will give it a shot.

Comment

Enjoy your new ride man!
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Diggin the new scooby!

I found a pair of brats near me a 78' and an 86' that I might want to look into.
                        -Matt
                        1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Thanks guys. I sat in it with my 4-year old listening to a few MP3s after we cleaned out a garage spot for it. It needs a spot, especially after the nasty weather today, herbie curbies and all sorts of debris flying though the air. I have never seen a Brat in person. They made them from '78 to '86? If so, that's a long run.

Just noticed that there are two mufflers on each end of the rear bumper. They're hidden pretty well.

Comment

Not bad, not bad! Hopefully it's still fairly fun to drive despite its inability to hang with a Mustang Cobra. I don't know much about Subarus, but I've ridden in a Forester and I thought it was pretty decent. How's the mechanical complexity on those things in the event you start doing stuff to it? (FWD scares me ...)
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                              (FWD scares me ...)
                              It's AWD, silly! :p

Comment

Working...
                              X