TL's RC Car Project ***DUW***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TL's RC Car Project ***DUW***

I purchased a Team Losi Mini T back in '03. It'a a 1/18 scale stadium/desert truck. Over the course of the following year, I thrashed it enough to have to replace almost everything at least once, and got it's terminal velocity from 4-7 MPH stock up to over 35 MPH.

Fast forward to 2008. My 3 year old daughter has outgrown her toy RC cars. It's time for something with proportional steering and throttle for her to learn on. So, I dig out my old truck and give it a good looking over. This is what I have replaced today:

-Chassis
    -Center steering link
    -Ball cups and ball studs (balljoints)
    -Threaded rod (control arm links)
    -Frequency crystals
    -Tires/wheels
    -All fasteners
    -Battery box
    -Connectors
    -Drive axles
    -Steering servo
    -Motor
    -Spur gear, top shaft gear
    -Wheel/gearbox bearings

So, it seems I should have just bought her a new one, but I am a fan of keeping the old running, so rebuild it, I did. It still needs a new body, slipper clutch, and an upper chassis plate. Parts for this car are not as readily available now as they were in the past. Anything I had to replace, I upgraded where possible. For example:

-Steel thread rod replaced with titanium turnbuckles for fast toe/camber adjustment.
    -Machined aluminum steering center link to replace plastic sloppy as hell piece.
    -Chrome wheels to replace ugly fluorescent yellow wheels.
    -Modified 300 size motor with open end bell and ball bearings to replace throw-away smaller sized sealed stock motor.
    -Dean's no-loss electrical to replace cordless-phone style connectors.
    -Dogbone driveshafts replaced with constant-velocity driveshaft.
    -Oil filled shocks to replace spring-only units with no damping.
    -Teflon sealed ball bearings thoughout chassis and gearbox.

She drove it today, in it's slowed-down state (10-15 MPH) and she didn't do too bad. In a few weeks, I'll up the power and she can play with understeer/oversteer and opposite lock driving.

Here are some pics:

I will get some street tires soon, and also a black body, as all my cars are black with chrome highlights, LOL.

I'll post some vids when I go brushless/lipo for 65MPH+ top speed.
    Last edited by torquelover; 04-30-2008, 10:01 PM.

Pretty nice lil' truck. If you check the second page on my cardomain you can see some of my RC projects.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
      Pretty nice lil' truck. If you check the second page on my cardomain you can see some of my RC projects.
      Thanks. The package of micro popcorn gives a good perspective of how tiny it is. You have some nice "little" rides there on your cardomain. Pretty intense stuff for me, let alone my Daughter. I am surrounded by nitro out here. Adjacent to me are Revo 3.3s, Jato 3.3s, and various 1/8 Buggies (Sportwerks, Losi, etc). The women out here hate it when they're all out. They call it the mosquito brigade. Are you going to get into 1/4 scale?

Comment

R/C is fun as hell, but it seems every time you play with it something breaks. Its not like you can play with it and take it home. Nope, ya gotta buy a part after every run I swear.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

This one's not so bad if you keep the speeds down. Once over 30MPH a lot of things start to wear out/fail. I can't imagine what the guys pushing 50-60 MPH are going through.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
            R/C is fun as hell, but it seems every time you play with it something breaks. Its not like you can play with it and take it home. Nope, ya gotta buy a part after every run I swear.
            Yeah I used to be really bad about breaking parts all the time but then I settled down and drove better. I don't think Im going to get into 1/4 scale but the 1/5 hpi baja is looking really tempting. Just so pricey because it's a grand to start out with and then you've have to make it faster. Its like my RS4 that started out $300/ 40 m.p.h. and I now have over $2000/ 75 m.p.h. in it.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

I've never tried RC cars. It's been a small interest of mine, but I'd rather put the money into my GM. I did have a short stint with RC airplanes a few years ago. Never got one to fly right for me. I'm happy that I've been having better luck with the real ones though!
              1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
              1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Working...
              X