Wagon Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    I'm not challenging whether towing a bunch of weight can be dangerous - as mentioned in a previous post, I didn't have a particularly great time 7 years ago towing a little 6x12 U-Haul jobbie. It was actually with future towing in mind that I bought my air shocks - and of course, it turns out I've not yet towed anything with them.

Is the risk of tow vehicle wheels coming off the ground the reason for Uhaul.com being anal about what they want you towing with what?

I've never heard of the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. Is it normally advertised near the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating? Or is it something defined by your local governing body?

And OP, I presume, means Operator?

Also, not that I would advocate doing something grossly illegal with trailers, but how would a given cop know you don't have a fancy driver's license unless he either pulls you over for a moving violation or randomly stops you to be nosy?

I am not sure, but the GCVWR would be the GVW and the GTW added together. I don't recall seeing a GCVWR on the info placard on the car.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

GVW and GTW, as in, actual weight as loaded?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Might see a GCVWR badge on a tractor, or anything designed strictly for towing a trailer. Otherwise, do simple arithmetic.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

:looks at fingers: One ... two .... four ... no, three ........
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

South Carolina is fairly liberal with the license classifications and weight ratings, as are the neighboring states for "SUV's", which my wagon falls under.

Now if you're in North Carolina and they see you've got a pickup and are hauling a load, they'll run your plates. If they suspect you're overloaded for your tag class they'll pull you over, and they carry portable scales to prove you're overweight, accompanied by a substantial ticket.

I've seen buddies with their big old dodge duallies run trailer weights that i'd consider insane. and they do it at 85 mph with trailers in questionable conditions and bald tires. THEY ARE INSANE and i've told them so.

I feel perfectly comfortable going 55 - 60 mph in my wagon with my full electric brakes and weight distributing hitch just rolling along at my own pace. I tell you what the weight distributing hitch REALLY makes all the difference in the world, and isnt very expensive compared with the benefits.
            1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

Working...
            X