'bout half way there...
    Attached Files
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ya poor bhastherd... You must be really good at that now.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Started this mess this afternoon.

Removed upper intake, drivers side header, alternator, fan shroud, fan and drained coolant. Just about to pull off the power steering pump pulley and the sky's opened up so I had to call it quits.

Quick recap...end goal is changing out drivers side head gasket, swapping in a t moss ported gt 40 lower intake and swapping in a new power steering pump and high pressure line. I have the newer steering box so I have to cut and re-flare the high pressure line of the pump to adapt to the newer steering box' stock high pressure line.
        This (in red) may have been said in error.

I check my new 1987 power steering high pressure line and it seems to fit right into the double flare coupler I installed years back to adapt the newer boxes odd ball high pressure steel line to my stock set up. Fuzzy memories but I think I am good at just reinstalling the stock style high pressure line to the modified police box high pressure line through the double flare coupler....
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Fuzzy memories but I think I am good at just reinstalling the stock style high pressure line to the modified police box high pressure line through the double flare coupler....
          You are indeed good to go. The box pressure line is 5/16" SAE (45-degree) double flare, the line nut it uses to attach to the box steering gear is also the correct thread to go into any standard 5/16" SAE flared union. So no mods needed to the box pressure line, just some creative routing.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            You are indeed good to go. The box pressure line is 5/16" SAE (45-degree) double flare, the line nut it uses to attach to the box steering gear is also the correct thread to go into any standard 5/16" SAE flared union. So no mods needed to the box pressure line, just some creative routing.
            Perfect. The routing was always a bit funny because of the silly shape of that hose.

I vividly remember flaring something while hunched over the fender for the steering box upgrade.

It was the steering box side high pressure line. I installed it, cut to fit and did not want to remove it from the box in fear of damaging the seal in the box so I toughed it out and double flared the bastard in the bay. Un fun.

All bits from old lower intake are now swapped onto the T moss ported lower intake and ready to go.

Plan to clean out the threads in the block and p.side head and suck the coolant out of the lower head bolt areas and slap the head on tomorrow. Working outside kinda sucks..No not kinda but does A LOT.
            ~David~

Comment

Got the head on a torqued as well as the lower intake. Next up I want to drop the dizzy back in and then install the push rods and rockers.
              Attached Files
              ~David~

Comment

Looking good meng.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Note to self... Do not trust TrickFlow hardware... bin it and get ARP.

This isn't my first run-in with crap stuff from TrickFlow. The valve spring compressor I got for the valve seal job on the 93's original engine broke on the second valve spring. They make good heads, but I have yet to see anything else they make that is decent or good quality.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Have you done a head gasket write up yet, separate from this thread?
                    It'd be nice to see such a thing, to help convince me to finally do mine... ...I'm sure others in my situation in the future would love it too...!
                    Especially if you list all the things you would have done differently the first few times...!!!
                    I might copy posts out of this thread to assemble a make-shift one for the meantime?? And I think you'd be able to edit it too to add tips and hindsight 'druthers type info..., maybe it would be easier that way??
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                      Especially if you list all the things you would have done differently the first few times...!!!
                      You mean like just pull the engine out and do it on a stand? lol
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                        You mean like just pull the engine out and do it on a stand? lol
                        D'oh... this would be tough for me... is it really that much of a difference in ease/time ?? It'll be a parking lot job Unless I thought I could do it in a weekend... hhmmmm.... What are the chances of needing head surface work done, for a gasket blown between two cylinders??? didn't ever overheat or anything... how long does it take to do at least new valve seals/seats/guides and all??? I could always push it out of the shop if I'm not done by the next Monday morning.... !! Or roll the engine hoist & stand outside... so many options... desire to do it - growing..!!!!
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If she fails again I got a nice engine in a certain 92 Grand Marquis you can have for the right price...

Comment

ARP bolts and Cometic head gaskets. I was told by a lot of people at E-Town and the local speed shop that is the way to go. They're pricey, but for a performance application, you save yourself a lot of trouble.

Comment

Head gaskets are easy. Unbolt all of the things attached to the heads and remove. Unbolt the heads and remove. Change the bad parts, bolt it back together.

honestly the worst aspect of the job, particularly with iron heads, is the physical access. Lots of leaning over the fenders, and hauling the heads in and out sucks ass. None of it is particularly complicated, its all just a bunch of heavy awkward shit.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What about doing valve guides/seats/seals??? Isn't this something one should do at that time??
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X