My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post

The seller did not. But! I have found people who will custom make them. May be an outlet for you. I’ll have to look up the link.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/27561759873...Bk9SR9bksZPcYQ

Appears as it will turn out nice if it would ever arrive.....
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Added some semi gloss black under chassis braces.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B0F079A3-682F-4CBC-BB43-30996F240C9B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	1387031

new idler arm:

Click image for larger version  Name:	CFFB154F-EB79-4808-817E-4F43E9DB5ABB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	1387030

new pitman arm:

Click image for larger version  Name:	6F7E405D-310A-457A-8DCE-94D060CEB9A4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	1387033

and a big mess:

Click image for larger version  Name:	D23B94AB-7157-46CF-A879-552CA79DEAA7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.52 MB ID:	1387032

idler arm was easy. The metal sleeve seized to the center link. Just knocked it open at the slit and applied some heat and it came off.

the pitman arm was a struggle. Pitman arm did not want to feer itself from the center link whatsoever.

Eventually I smartened up and put a tie rod popper tool on the joint and let it sit for a half hour. Came back and one gentle smack of the hammer it popped loose.

Pulling the pitman arm off the splined shaft of the steering box was easy. No issue there.

All pieces replaced had a little bit of play in them hence the replacement.
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 03-18-2023, 06:38 PM.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice job. Were you able to test drive after?
        Was the wheel off?

Comment

Your car really is pretty incredible.

You're inspiring me to go through my steering mechanicals while I'm swapping to this Volvo/FoMoCo electric power steering pump...
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
            Nice job. Were you able to test drive after?
            Was the wheel off?
            Thanks.

I havent. The idler arm bushing was kinda soft so I am curious if there is any change in wheel position.

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
            Your car really is pretty incredible.

You're inspiring me to go through my steering mechanicals while I'm swapping to this Volvo/FoMoCo electric power steering pump...
            Thank you.

I am going to replace all the inner/outer and adjusting sleeves...maybe centerlink too? in some time myself. The stuff is so old, some boots cracked and such BUT has no play. It bothers me so damn much though how ugly some of the parts are so they are going in the trash when I muster up the funds for new items.

I do the alignments myself so its no big deal setting the toe again BUT it is not fun chasing a straight steering wheel when done.

Its all done in my back yard with long acre toe plates and quick trick turn plates.

I cant bring myself to have the car worked on by others.
            ~David~

Comment

Can you get hold of the tool that holds the steering wheel straight and rests/clamps to the seat?
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Id have to look into that. Uneducated me says that there is no way that would provide a solid/play free mounting solution while adjusting toe. My usual method was setting toe to spec. Drive car around to see steering wheel position rinse repeat...a process to say the least especially considering both adjusting sleeves needing to be adjusted in sync so as not to throw off the toe setting.
                ~David~

Comment

When I pulled the lopo out of the CV, I noticed that the idler arm had no boot on it. When I took it off, the balljoint just flopped around. I'm curious to see if that made any difference with the steering; and if it was one of the many rattles under that car.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Id have to look into that. Uneducated me says that there is no way that would provide a solid/play free mounting solution while adjusting toe. My usual method was setting toe to spec. Drive car around to see steering wheel position rinse repeat...a process to say the least especially considering both adjusting sleeves needing to be adjusted in sync so as not to throw off the toe setting.
                    If the tool is available I can't see why it wouldn't work as I have seen shops use it to a perfect result. Holds the steering wheel straight and then simply adjust the tie rods. Let us know how you progress.
                    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Uncovered the ol’gal and rubbed her down good with my D A and meguiars 3 in 1 wax.

Click image for larger version  Name:	46C931B9-70E4-427D-8E34-BA5F507A3AF8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	1387434

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECB4536E-8F06-4B7B-9737-C55336C2A1FC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	1387430

After that I figured I should toss on a pair of NOS door edge guards I had recently picked up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04EFF297-BB76-429B-B06B-303CFB53469C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	1387436

I like the old school look it gives. They fit very well and are ON there good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	97454089-EA05-4441-AFD9-ABE5AFDD11A6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	1387431

Click image for larger version  Name:	A4483D3F-2872-4DBC-B32D-F43FB6911A97.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.05 MB ID:	1387432

Click image for larger version  Name:	A66AC754-9D5E-4BF1-A4ED-A2D1D3A63409.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	1387437

Click image for larger version  Name:	81F5178D-5565-423B-9891-257F49236CC6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.52 MB ID:	1387435

And one with my dads car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	45386EDF-FEA2-4A15-9592-1C671327B111.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.42 MB ID:	1387433
                      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 04-04-2023, 05:22 PM.
                      ~David~

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

She’s back out in the wild.

took her around the neighborhood this afternoon and ripped a couple 1-2 burnies! Running like a champ.

definitely have to get her up to highway speeds and just stomp on the brake pedal a couple of times. Sitting in the backyard all winter ain’t the best for the rotor surfaces. After that I will have to clean up the wheels as the black wheels turn gold from all the brake dust/rust being smoked off. Well for now…..

Click image for larger version  Name:	DD9747A8-1916-4D1B-BD21-797FE052FC80.jpg Views:	0 Size:	666.5 KB ID:	1387558

Safe and secure.
                          ~David~

Comment

First cruise of 2023. All is well. Hit up a bunch of Long Island. Cross Island, Long Island expressway, sagtikos parkway, southern state, northern state, Robert Moses cousway, meadowbrook parkways and Whitestone expressway.

got back a little before 6:30 am and then washed up with optimum no rinse and a p&s bead maker top coat. So happy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DD4437BC-7CA8-48FD-8506-ECDB1A84BA59.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	1387702

Name:	2D475166-DA93-4126-8CFF-3E3E6AD792B5.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	1387698

Name:	256EF24A-18B1-41A2-86D7-3ACCD39A6773.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	1387699

Name:	8EAB8FF8-3361-4849-9601-221E2686044E.jpg
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	1387700

Name:	1C0B7E63-69C8-4AC2-B51B-5E51D1AE2EFE.jpg
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	1387701

Name:	DD4437BC-7CA8-48FD-8506-ECDB1A84BA59.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	1387703

Attached Files
                            ~David~

Comment

What piece are you using as a hood ornament substitute?

Comment

Originally posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
                                What piece are you using as a hood ornament substitute?
                                It is a stock base, JB welded the void. Body worked smooth with filler, primed, painted with some silver metallic paint (to match the stock 1979 rear license plate panel) and 2k cleared.

I would love to run the hood ornament but the car sits under a car cover all the time. Not only would the cover get ripped, but the cover could actually make the stock hood ornament move around and potentially gouge up the header panel.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X