My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Dave.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

You know, I was just thinking about nice a Magnum 500-style wheel would look on our cars.
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        Mighty fine looking car, sir. You must get tired of hearing that. I love the wheels on 'er too, the bright rim is a great look and goes with the other brightwork on the car. Absolutely love the car and wish it was mine. What would you think about putting that opera light band in that came on the full roof ASC cars? Or the LTD Landau light that was on what, '79-'82 cars?
        Thank you very much. I do not get tired of hearing it. Many many years of work have went into it and will continue to go into it.

I am not to familiar with that light band and would have to see it.

I have thought about the LTD Landau piece. Matter of fact I have a NOS piece already but forget which side it is......

What I want to install but am afraid to do is this:

This came off a 1979 two door Grand Marquis. They install up on the c pillar area similar to the LTD pieces you mentioned. I have these all painted and ready to go, just am afraid to drill into the car for it.

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
        Thanks Dave.
        What did I do?

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
        You know, I was just thinking about nice a Magnum 500-style wheel would look on our cars.
        Maybe they could. I am happy with my HPPs and LX Sport wheels. The only other ones I would consider are the Marauder wheels is I get the itch for more wheels in the future, though for now I am quite content.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Um, I don't remember LOL

But the clutch pedal info is great.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
            Um, I don't remember LOL

But the clutch pedal info is great.
            Haha Thanks. I wont know for certain if it is correct until it is actually implemented into the car. It is great starting point though.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I wanna find out what Cleetus did for the clutch pedal on Burnout Patrol (CV with GT500 5.4 in it). Single pedal add-on.
              https://youtu.be/4Fu_-LC7QtA?t=1m22s
              (video plugin doesn't do timestamps)

Does look like it needs some reinforcement though. And says Willwood on it so it's probably spendy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Mr. ultra sexymashedpotatoes (lol) posted this link and this be the roof & opera lights I brought up a while ago for you to consider adding to your Ford (opera lights)...

Here's a full formal roofed '85 CV on CC http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbs...ooooooo-kitty/ looks like a stainless trim/plate, no opera/coach lights.
                Actually, I think this is it! If you look very closely in a few of the pics, you can see the light I'm talking about or what appears to be one. Needs to be verified...

What do you think?

Edit: Of course the damned link doesn't work.. Useless post, please delete.

SlyEdit: fixed the link... next time copy the link and not the text.
                Last edited by sly; 07-23-2018, 01:20 PM.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Mr. ultra sexymashedpotatoes (lol) posted this link and this be the roof & opera lights I brought up a while ago for you to consider adding to your Ford (opera lights)...

Here's a full formal roofed '85 CV on CC http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbs...ooooooo-kitty/ looks like a stainless trim/plate, no opera/coach lights.
                  Actually, I think this is it! If you look very closely in a few of the pics, you can see the light I'm talking about or what appears to be one. Needs to be verified...

What do you think?

Different. Never seen it before. Not a fan.
                  ~David~

Comment

Ah, thank you kind sir.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Different. Never seen it before. Not a fan.
                    Well now you know what they look like though! Sorta similar to what Cadillac Brougham's got through the 80's and early 90's.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Did about a 100 mile trip this morning as the weather was just gorgeous out.

As i drove off the damn AFR gauge was still not reading correctly (flashing 20 indicating FULL LEAN conditions). This has been a problem since my lower intake swap (from stock gt 40 lower to tmoss ported gt 40 lower) though I dont believe the reading to be accurate because the data logs show the gauge reading dropping out to 1 which is not a valid reading. I sent gauge off to autometer and gauge is fine. I replaced wideband sensor and get same results. Maybe a faulty ground/power is the cause within the harness. I have a new harness to try if this has not fully fixed itself. At the time of the lower intake swap I also broke the alternator charge stud and had to rig that up again to work...maybe related maybe not.....

Anyways I went on the drive and mid way through the damn thing started reading correctly for all types of driving.

cruising at 75/80 and it was at 15.0
                      Hot idle at 15.7
                      hot idle foot on brake in drive 14.6
                      give it gas while at 75/80 and it drips down to 13...give more gas and goes lower into 12. Let off and cruise it goes right back to 15.0 area.

WOT 12.3 or so.

Still lean while in cruise and idle but not way out of line.

I'd like the cruising afrs to be a bit richer though maybe even the idle. 80mph steady for miles and the afr at 15.0 may not be too good. I'll let my tuner decide.

Car felt great! This is still all with the timing set at 10 as that is how we are tuning things at first.
                      ~David~

Comment

Are your narrow band sensors switching like normal? Any chance there is an exhaust leak introducing air to the wideband?
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Always a chance especially considering that head (drivers side..same side as the wide band sensor)was removed as I was replacing the headgasket at the time of the lower intake swap.

I was not logging anything during this drive. I just went out and wanted nothing to do with logging. I just wanted to enjoy.

Could a leak large enough to throw off the wideband readings seal itself up after a long drive like I experienced? I dont know.

All of these new readings are to be expected as I did introduce a more free flowing intake into the system. One reason I am not questioning things to much.
                          ~David~

Comment

Took the car out again this morning. 155 mile trip.

Started with the AFR gauge not reading correctly. Seems the engine has to be very warmed up and a WIDE OPEN THROTTLE run will make the gauge then read right. Very strange. Get on her for a LONG time and the afrs drop to 12.6 and when you let off and just cruise it stays at 14.9 ish area which is correct and will read correct for a while before it starts acting funky again 20 or so. Too damn humid to care about fixing it. When it reads correctly it shows good numbers so I am not worried about it. I have another new wideband sensor and a new harness for it as well. Will test things out and find a new power and ground for the gauge in case that has something to do with it. I also ordered up a shorter belt for the alternator and will swap that on with the smaller stock 2g alternator pulley. On my drive today at one point the voltmeter was showing around 13volts where it is normally above 14. It eventually got back up again. Going to swap on the stock parts and see whats up. Maybe something funny with voltage is going on and causing the afr gauge to go wonky. I dont know but will find out in time......Maybe.
                            ~David~

Comment

Probably a different ground reference to the gauge as to the sensor? If the grounds aren't tied together, I'd check that their contact points are good. If they are tied together, yeah... since it's a voltage reference vs power source, voltage varying between 10 and 15V shouldn't phase it at all and would make me wanna check the connector and possibly pinch the female connectors a bit for firmer contact. Also, is it a heated sensor or just a 2/1 wire? If heated, make sure the heater circuit is working or it won't have good readings until things warm up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Its a fairly simple set up. One harness that goes from gauge to wide band sensor. Out of the gauge comes a power, ground, data logger outputs (x2) and a wide open throttle sense wire. It is a heated sensor. Once gauge senses battery voltage above 13v it heats the sensor. A countdown from 20 appears on the gauge and once that is done the gauge displays readings. Possible that the gauge believes the sensor is heating but it actually isnt and when the engine gets some spirited driving under its belt the sensor gets hot enough to function properly? Dont know. Will have to investigate.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X