LTDMan's '87 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Big Red) *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Brandon I think i have a ford part number for a heater core flow restrictor.

# E7VH-18D406-AA

It was put up on a mustang site for a fox body. I dont know if it would work but you could look into it.

Awesome, Thanks David!

I will indeed look into that very soon, as I am in need. Even extended 4K rpm runs kind of scare me that the core is gonna explode, and shoot antifreeze into the dash and interior.

Comment

Now i have to add that heater pipe to the list of things to get at the next yard visit. lol
      No shit. He always finds cool little options I didn't even know were out there.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Gotta love that heater pipe! It's so much more pleasing to the eye than those rubber hoses. Nice to see you painted it too!

Comment

Also, can't forget about the '86 only TV-Bushingless Throttle Lever, and TV Cable! No TV bushing to accidentally fall out during a bad time, and fry your tranny. I'm gettin one to weld onto my 65mm explorer TB, as soon as I find one.

Comment

nice werk

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thx Scott!

Comment

Damn!!!! I didn't know my mom's CV was so special judging by these posts.

Packman

Comment

I believe those are the only '86 specific parts, everything else is the same. I also like how the 86-87 have a separate cruise control module, so that you can use whatever SEFI ECM that you want, and still keep the cruise function.

Comment

Massive Update:

Bodywork Update:

Finally finished stripping all the Fuzz/Glue from the roof. I couldn't find any paint strippers that would work worth a damn on this stuff, so I used an angle grinder to power sand all that crap off. Left some residue behind which cleaned up easily with acetone afterward. It went quick, but it was an extremely messy process.

I'm not an expert welder yet, so I didn't wanna take the chance of welding the old trim holes on the roof closed, and possibly warping the entire roof out of shape. I've just seen it done so many times, I'm still a little gunshy about welding on rooves. I went old school, and used Lead (body solder) to fill the 8 holes in the middle of the roof, worked out great. I left the 2 small holes on the outer edges of the roof and the holes on the Quarterpanels to tack weld closed at a later time, since there is little chance of me warping the panel out of shape in those areas.

Here are pics of the current progress:

Next up, I will be welding the remaining trim holes closed, as well as getting some All-Metal and making the seams disappear.

Interior Updates:

Scored a set of Mint Blue Towncar SS Seats from an '89 at the Junkyard, and started modding them.

First I pulled the power seat switch Brackets out of the old seats, and sanded/painted them.

Brackets Bolted to the seats. All these seats must have had the same metal bases, because these already had the holes for the brackets in them.

Switches Installed.

Also kept the Under Seat Lighting, and...

Wired up custom Harnesses for them.

Rear Seats Installed. Camera wasn't really picking up their true color at this point.

Front Seats Installed. After adjusting the cameras settings, I got it to pick up the actual color of the seats, which is Dark Blue. The foam is in much better shape on these seats, than on my last set, so they are alot more comfortable.

I like these seats so much, I'm actually gonna switch my entire Interior to Blue eventually, just to match these seats!.

Also Installed some 90-91 carpeted Under Dash Covers, on both sides.

Scored a Mint set of Trunk Upholstery, and Installed.

And, as a final touch after re-installing the headliner, I polished the Dome Light to a Mirror Finish.

Engine Updates:

Forgot to change out the Cap/Rotor, so I bought and installed a new Brass Terminal unit. Old one was crusty as hell. Spark output is noticeably better now.

Also, Installed a used set of Autolite spark plug wires as well. This set only had 10K miles on them, so they are still good to go.

Misc Updates:

Scored a set of Mint Turn Signal Lenses, off of eBay. The one on the Right, I found thanks to David (87gtvic), it's in near NOS shape with no stress cracks in the lens whatsoever, and I only paid $10 shipped for it! The one on the Left I found on eBay myself, and it is a confirmed NOS unit that was still in the original ford box when I got it. I paid a premium for it though, at $65 shipped.

More Slicktop Conversion progress will be coming soon.

Comment

Very nice work! I wondering will you change the blue interior soon?
                      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
                      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

that looks nice, i love the look of those seats, i kinda like the blue/red contrast in the interior as it is tho lol

But to make the slick-top procces +312232321 easier would have been to use " 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover" i used the spray can of it on the sides, and poured the jug on the top...the stuff just scraped right off with very little effort.

And how easilly did those under-dash covers go on, i have some wires that keep on falling down, could you show more pics of how they look from the drivers/passengers view, please

But I cant wait to see more updates on this
                        ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                        ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Damn, that sure is gonna be purdy...you'll probably have the only red with blue interior Merc that looks straight from the factory.

Questions for you...

Do you have any pictures of filling in the front antenna hole? I'd like to remove that one day, and would like to see your process of such. Unless I overlooked them here, I don't remember seeing any other than the hole.

How easy is it to remove the seats? I've got a gray interior and have been considering Town Car seats for a bit...

sigpic
                          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Switching to a blue interior is a good plan. After the exterior of the car is painted red, you could add white pinstripes. The colours of the US flag brought up this idea
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Looking good, glad you found another turn signal lens. And those seats look like nobody ever sat in them.

And have fun removing another entire dashboard again.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

looks great brandon great progress scott has those same seats they are comfy lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                                X