No announcement yet.

85 351 4door Vic **DUW**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep, just splice the ground wire for the parking light into the flasher wire (green on my car) going to the turn signal bulb. That's it. I just snipped off the ground wire and ran a wire from it to the green wire, and that was the result.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Nasty weather and family functions have been putting the kaibosh on further work on the car. All I've really done is clean up the whitewalls (looks nice to finally have 4 fresh white walls) and fixed my rear defroster with a neato kit from Canadian Tire. Oh yeah, and undercoated the ass out of everything, including large portions of my hands and face.

The car seems to actually be warming up more quickly now, which is strange given the temperature has hovered around freezing lately. Whatever, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I just picked up a wiring harness which SHOULD allow me to finally hook up my dad's 3-4 year old Pioneer head unit.

I also got some Champion copper plugs (RV17YC), which brings me to my next questions: Before I completely narf up my heads, are these the correct plugs for my 351, and what should my gaps be with a 192 degree thermostat and average timing? Speaking of which, I need to call a man about a light...

Pics when it clears up, hopefully.
      Last edited by johnunit; 12-09-2009, 05:52 PM.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Not sure about the model of spark plug you're using, but if a parts store sold them to you based on the application of an '85 CV with a 351, you should be fine. I always set gaps to about 0.050".

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

yeah, it was down as being correct for a 5.8L crown vic in the reference book for spark plugs, but I've had issues with those books being off in the past, most notably a fuel filter that I still haven't found the application of. It sure as hell doesn't go in the front of a 7200 VV.

Thanks, I shall gap dem tingz.

Comment

Next time you apply undercoating, wear gloves mang.
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

lol yeah, I learned that the hard way.

Comment

What a fun thread to read!

I remember when I was young and still had all that automotive enthusiasm...
                Last edited by Ike Clanton; 12-10-2009, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                  Not sure about the model of spark plug you're using, but if a parts store sold them to you based on the application of an '85 CV with a 351, you should be fine. I always set gaps to about 0.050".
                  Should probably be using an Autolite 25 or equivalent (dunno what that Champion part number translates to). Didn't 351s through the '80s just get incrementally updated heads similar to the D8OE until they stopped at the E5 ones your car came with and kept those at least through '91?
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yes, that would be correct, so assuming his car is stock it would have the E5AE heads.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Ike Clanton View Post
                      What a fun thread to read!

I remember when I was young and still had all that automotive enthusiasm...
                      thanks. Enthusiasm is one word for it...

Comment

I won two ebay auctions today
                        one for an NOS Motorcraft rebuild kit and one for a 38 page ford manual on VV carbs. The parts are piling up, and now it's too damned cold and dark to get any work done on the car... Oh well.

Off the top of my head I have parts in hand (or in the mail) to do the following that needs doing:
                        left reverse light
                        antifreeze flush/refill+ thermostat
                        carb rebuild
                        brake bleeding
                        plugs
                        new head unit and rear speakers
                        more undercoating
                        new valve stems (at least one tire has slow leak)
                        adjust rear brakes (locking up far before fronts)

and on and on it goes...
                        Last edited by johnunit; 12-10-2009, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                          Yes, that would be correct, so assuming his car is stock it would have the E5AE heads.
                          my impression from my research is that these heads are somewhere inbetween the heads on most panther 302s and the E7 heads people use for HO swaps. Meaning swapping to E7 heads would not be worth my effort, and I'd be better off saving for GT40P heads (with 1/2 inch rocker studs). Is this more or less correct?

Comment

E5AE castings flow pretty similarly to E7TE castings. The main difference is that the combustion chamber is slightly bigger, so you would get a slight increase in compression with the E7's. Enough to make it worthwhile? Not really. I'd say that saving up for a set of GT40s or GT40Ps is a good idea.

Comment

good to know.
                              Any idea what my compression ratio would be with unshaved GT40P's?

Comment

I installed a newer pioneer head unit this week. The sound is a bit better, but two of the speakers still don't work. Now I have to figure out what the hell is wrong with the wiring. Same problem, two head units and harnesses.

The carb rebuild kit came today. It's a genuine motorcraft kit, unopened, with all the stuff I could ask for. Only 14 dollars to my door. The one thing that's annoying me is I don't know any way to re-build or even diagnose the choke mechanism. I have a feeling that it not working is the reason behind the long warm ups (2+ minutes of feathering the throttle or it stalls), but it may just be the general out-of-tuneness of the carb or the vacuum leaks that I'm slowly tracking down.

Also, work told me "see-ya in february" today. That wasn't totally unexpected, but it'll make scraping by the next two months interesting. At least I have lots of stuff to do to Sophie in the mean time.

Comment

Working...
                                X