No announcement yet.

Neums' 1986 Chicago PD project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That really looks good Numes. I seem to be lagging behind you with mine.
    1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

I found an NOS belt molding for the driver's door so I was able to wrap that up this weekend. It was made for a car with vent windows so I had to put a longer dew wipe on it. I got the dew wipe material from JC Whitney. The one short piece I took off will fit my back door though so I'll be saving that.

Three doors finished, one more to go:

I also replaced my mismatched guages with a set of correct Ford police guages I got from hemihotrod402:

Comment

Looking good.

Any more info on the funky radio slot?
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

WOW those gauges cleaned up nice!! Looks a lot better than they did when I sent them to you lol.

Can't wait to see it when its done!
          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Looking good.

If I remember correctly the Chicago Police ordered the LTDs radio delete and put the switches for the lights and siren in the holes.
            1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              Looking good.

Yes, it is a special radio delete plate that holds the switches for the lightbar. The electronic siren/PA control box fits into the large opening:

I will probably be working on mounting the control box this weekend. It will look similar to this when installed:
              Last edited by neums; 05-25-2010, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Will that be a bitch to fit in there? Will you have to modify the existing radio metal sleeve that is partially behind there?
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I made a couple of brackets yesterday and got the siren/PA box mounted. Its mounted to the back of the radio delete plate. No other modifications were needed, it just slid right into the existing radio space with no problems at all.

That is all the police equipment that Chicago used in their cars back in '86. No computers or 2-way radios, just the MARS siren box and the white pull switch for the lightbar.
                  Last edited by neums; 06-01-2010, 07:20 AM.

Comment

No radio? How did they keep in touch?
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      No radio? How did they keep in touch?
                      From 1974 they have been using hand held radios, sort of like a walkie-talkie. A few cars do have radios to communicate with some of the nearby suburban police departments, but not many.

Comment

That looks great!
                        ~David~

Comment

Oooooh. Handhelds.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Lookin sweet..

Comment

Nos window trim installed on passenger side. A few pieces aren't available new for the driver's side, so mine are out being restored along with the rocker moldings. Still waiting for a few new pieces that go around the windshield and back window. Car is looking more finished now and I will be bringing it to the Westmont, IL emergency vehicle cruise night this Thursday.

Now, to do something about these seats! I'll be getting an estimate this week.

Comment

Last night at the cruise in. Crown Vics and lightbars have changed a lot in 25 years.

Stopped on the way to get an estimate on redoing my seats, OUCH! More than I payed for the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X