Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 merc marquis brougham + GMGT rebirth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it have wagon springs, or is it just the tires making it sit up so high??
    -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
    -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      wow, thanks for the positive feed back guys. the color is light pewter metallic. id love to get a set of BBS wheels but, it aint in the buget. i was thinking alot about the 98-01 ranger/explorer chrome slotted rims. i can prolly get a set for a good price. right now, my focus is to get GMGT together, then will deal with the wheels.
      Want a recommendation?

Leave the existing wheels on it, and just clean them up. I like it with the black wheels on it, and the Ford covers. Worst case, after you clean them up, get some of these thin-ring trim rings to add to the wheels, as I think it would look freaking evil:

After that, just get some new tires for it, lower it three inches, and drive the damn thing, lol.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2010, 04:14 AM.

Comment

if i do keep the black rims, i will be putting on trim rings fo sho lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by 87DeuceVic View Post
          Does it have wagon springs, or is it just the tires making it sit up so high??
          It has wagon springs. Installed em myself
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

oh ya, wagon springs and air shocks. the car is real deal beefy on the back. actually, tom, are there just stock springs in the front? and what is the details on the fuel system on the legendary GMGT?lol

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
              I vote you do that! Love the color BTW

just out of curiosity, what are you doing with the CV speedometer? I kinda want an orange needled one
              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

looks great mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

im now in a bit of a pickle with the tires i want. i know for sure i want 255/60/15s on the rear but not sure if i want 225/65/15s, 235/65/15s or 235/60/15s on the front. the 255/60/15s and 235/65/15s combination will have the same side wall hight, and thats what im sorta after. whacha guys think?

Comment

My vote is 235/60/15s on the front.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

The rear needs more sidewall unless your going to take some of the "rake" out.
                      Former panther owner
                      1981 CV 351 4bbl
                      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

235 60 15's up front
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

With any of the tire combinations listed, it's going to look rather poor with a 255/60R 15 in the rear, and the rear of the car sitting 5 feet up in the air.

Lower it before you buy tires. Trim the springs, or whatever you have to do to lower it, but it's going to look pretty silly with smaller tires in the rear and the 6" off-road lift kit that's back there in the form of the wagon springs. I think I saw a picture of that car somewhere slammed to the ground (although I don't recommend doing that here), and it looked freaking evil. Drop it 3-4 in the rear, and go 2-3 in the front, and then the 255's you have planned for the rear will look okay.

Otherwise....you might as well buy a pocket protector, and buy some plastic-rimmed glasses, because you're going to look like a nerd in that car with it lifted and tires that don't fill the wheelwells.

Me personally, on a recommended tire size? 275/60R 15 rear, and 245/60R 15 front. The 235/60's look a little tiny up front.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2010, 01:04 PM.

Comment

the ass end will drop if i take the air out from the air shocks lol. going 245s in the front i think is too much. that also goes for the 275s in the rear. thats why im goin for the 255s. all in all, this is why i wanna go 255/60/15s in the rear and 235/65/15s up front. that way the front wont look soo short and the rears wont look sooo huge, the side walls will be the same hight and the rears will be a lil bit wider, you dig?lol

Comment

More pics!! sometime soon ill have to head up your way and check you'r cars out,

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
                              351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
                              duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

ill get more tomorrow. the header panel is on and the trunk lid is done. saturday i had to borrow my boss' very expensive drill bits to drill the heads off of the seat belt bolts in the parts car so i can get the seat and carpet out since, the floor is completly rotted out.. i must say, them drill bits are freaken awsome! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X