1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is the filler neck still removable?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
      http://qualityairride.com/content/2000-s10-daily-driver this has some good views of the hinges
      Wow, thats a good link. I shall have a really good luck at that.

Thanks.
      Andy.
      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        So is the filler neck still removable?
        Yes, and in fact may be easier than before. To remove before I had to drop the fuel tank down slightly to get enough clearance to pull it out, and remove the bolts holding the pipe onto the quarter panel.
        Now I reach through the rear lockable compartment and undo both cap head bolts, then lossen the rubbery gasketty thingy (that I am going to fab to seal the inner wheel arch to the pipe) and pull the neck out of the tank and pull it through into the wheelarch.

Good question though. Thanks.
        Andy.
        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Fabrication and metal work is amazing. Plus everyone enjoys a thread with plenty of pictures.
          Town Coupe [X]
          Mark VI [ ]
          Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
          Crown Victoria Coupe
          [ ]

Comment

This thread is worth that car's weight in gold from the pics alone.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Now I don't fancy butt welding this panel in. Too much chance of an irreplaceable panel distortion. So I am going to make a backing plate and spot weld the gas filler panel to it and then spot weld the whole thing to the quarter...

I had to use my spot welder with the long arms to reach into the top right hand corner

Love these photos! Looks like its got spots!

heres a view from the back

Andy.
              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

If you were nearby I would always be over your shoulder learning as much as I can. I love the work you accomplish.

How do you like the rust/paint stripper wheel you have on your drill?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  If you were nearby I would always be over your shoulder learning as much as I can. I love the work you accomplish.
                  +1 I would LOVE to be able to do this work.....if I could do the metal work on my 1990 I would be able to keep it driving, theoretically, forever i just wish I had a place to learn basic skills that I could build on my own.
                  Last edited by 1990LTD; 04-15-2011, 06:34 PM.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post

How do you like the rust/paint stripper wheel you have on your drill?

Hi 87gtVIC
                    If you are ever in the UK, you will be welcome to visit and have a good old british "cuppa" (cup of tea) with us! Your skills are not too shabby since your car looks damn fine!

That wheel is really good and effective. Bit pricey and shreds easily sometimes if you catch the edge of a panel and its rotating the wrong way, but it does its job well. Slightly scuffs the steel but gets rid of light rust easily. Far far better than any wire wheel attachment. Very impressed with it.
                    There is a brown version available that almost polishes the steel! Doesn't remove corrosion but roughens it up for an etch primer or equivalent.

Do you use these?
                    Andy.
                    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Thanks Andy

I have not used the couple that I have at home yet. Good to hear that they work effectively if treated properly though.

-David
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Heres a view of the drivers quarter panel with all holes welded up and all glue residues removed. Took me about 2 hours with a panel wipe solvent and a flat bed sander to get rid of all the stickiness!!

I then started making card templates for the inner arch. Here the first one in place....

Here it is transferred to steel and a 90 degree flange welded on

and here it is clamped for a final trial fit.

Ran out of time then and got too late to do an grinding/welding so decided to strip the tailgate. Here it is with most things stripped off....

Looks a lot better!

I need to remove that lock and handle, so I will have to use a remote to mimick the action of the lock. One button to wind the window down, and a solenoid to pop the tailgate open. I will keep the interior handle so I can still drop the tailgate down.

Now I know this is a silly question and I know what the answer is going to be...whats the chance of getting a new tailgate window seal!!!!!

Andy.
                        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Well if you find out I wanna know too.
                          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

probably have to find some universal and trim to fit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yep, no American Squire owners have had any luck getting new tailgate seals. Its weird design is one of the biggest suckages of the Ford 3-way tailgate. The other, of course, being the 'gate's tendency to break and quit working in one or more of its functions. My big ambition if I end up keeping my Colony Park is to someday replace all that garbage with a proper tailgate like on a Range Rover or else a liftgate - something that actually works and is easily repairable if the window breaks or the latch goes wrong. There are people making replacement liftgates for Fox Mustangs out of fiberglass ....
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I like the 3 way gate, just needs a better hinge and latch setup!!!!!!!
                                '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
                                "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
                                "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
                                "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
                                "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Working...
                                X