1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grandwagon View Post
    For gods sake Andy, would you stop fooling around with dumb stuff like work and home stuff and give an update!!!! You know we are all like a bunch of junkies needing a fix so get on with the important stuff and give us all what we need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Grandwagon.
    Sorry for the withdrawal symptoms! Mine are just as bad as yours-trust me!

I pack up work on thursday for a 6 week holiday, and the house mods are coming along well, so it shouldn't be long before I am back on it.
    I've been spending about 20 mins a day on wood sticker peeling though! Only front doors and fenders to peel now.
    Heres a couple of photos when I was modifying the garage a few weeks ago and chucked the car out for a bit.

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Managed to get some time on the car. Next is the rear drivers side door.

If you have a look at this photo you should see the front edge of the door sticking out past the back of the front door, and definitely not in line with the rocker. This is a pet hate of mine. Doors that are not in line at the bottom. I am assuming that over the years when the rear door has been opened against it stops it has bent the B post where the hinges attach and effectively moved the pivot point outwards.

Heres the car with the fake wood off up to the fender.

Correcting this means removing the door which menas removing interior trim and pulling the wiring through. So while I am in there lets lose the door handle and the lock solenoid. Which is a shame really because it works well! Anybody want it for a small fee? Here it is

Another shame is that the waterproof membrane under the inner door trim hasn't been touched in 21 years!!

Once the door is back on and lines up I will weld up where the door handle used to be.

Andy.
      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

That's some nice progress.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I managed to adjust the door so the front of it is in line with the back of the front door with a consistent gap.

Gap by the rear quarter is also good

Gap by the rocker is also good

BUT, look at the gaps at the top of the door.
          This is the top right. The top corner is actually touching the door post but a wide gap at the bottom

Top of the door is really tight.

Top left is too wide

So it looks as if the door frame around the window will be removed and rewelded back into a better position! Bit drastic but the only way.

As a side note, since the door handle will be welded up I have no need for locks, so no need for locking solenoids and locking mechanisms. Only 1 rod is needed to the inner door handle and another link to a door popper solenoid.

Andy.
          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I was all ready to go "they're all like that" but those gaps do seem excessive. Good luck sorting that out lol.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

andy is a custom GOD with a car so i think he can handel it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
              "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
              "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
              "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
              "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Hi all.
                Just a quick update.
                Project has been suspended at the moment. My Mum has just had a heart attack at the age of 92, so every evening is spent at the hospital - and most of the weekend, on and off.
                My poor Dad has alzheimers as well, so bit of a bad combo! But, I'm going to try for a few hours this weekend on the back drivers door. Welding up the door handle and rust eradicating!

Andy
                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

damn, sorry to hear it. Hope your mum is gonna be OK.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hope your mom is okay andy.
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Thanks guys.

Rightio then....................
                      Now I've got the chance, its the drivers rear door clean up time

Door handle removed

Cut out

Plate cut out and held in place by a magnet

Welded up

There was a bit of distortion, but nothing that an hour of persuading/panel beating couldn't sort out.

Then its door off and media blast the bottom.

I am going to bend the bottom lip out slightly and pour some dinitrol 3125 rustproofer down and tap it tight again. This will prevent any further rusting inside.

Hers a good sight of the old vinyl wood grain stickers in its rightful place!!

Andy.
                      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Awesome work mang!

How's your mum?
                        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                        Open/Lock/Ratio #
                        -----------------------
                        G / H / 2.26
                        B / C / 2.47
                        8 / M / 2.73
                        7 / - / 3.07
                        Y / Z / 3.08
                        4 / D / 3.42
                        F / R / 3.45
                        5 / E / 3.27
                        6 / W / 3.73
                        2 / K / 3.55
                        A / - / 3.63
                        J / - / 3.85

Comment

As much as it hurts progress on the car, you have your priorities in line good sir. Take care of family first, the car can wait, although it may be hard for some of us waiting by the screen for new photos.

sigpic
                          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Thanks MrMarquis and GoodSamaritan.
                            My Mum is out of hospital and staying with us for a few days. And my Dad also. Looking better.

Time for some more car work while my parents are watching Zulu on telly:smirk:

Here's the back door with the bottom lip bent out at 90 degrees. Good job as well because there was some corrosion.

Dinitrol 3125 squirted in the door and then heated up with a hot air paint stripper to make it run inside all seams.

Then more squirted on top and the lip bent back and warmed up again to make it flow everywhere.

Then seam sealed.

Here's the door after removing all the adhesive with panel wipe solvent and 120 grit paper, and all holes welded up. Looks smooth.

Andy.
                            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Good to hear the 'rents are doing OK.

Those door seams are a chronic problem. Whenever the rot pokes through, it always starts at the crimp.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey Andy Great work once again. Amazing what seemingly good metal has hidden for its owner.

Question...When you installed your poly body to frame mounts what was your recipe? Washers, mounts etc? What was used and in what order?
                                -David
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X