1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi David.

Heres a photo of the energysuspension universal poly body mounts. One big washer up against the floorpan, the bigger black bush on next, then the frame, then the smaller poly bush, then the other big washer under that, then put the bolt and the tubes through and tighten up. No other spacers needed.

You can just about see the centre mount in this photo.

Any more info you need, let me know.
    Andy.
    Last edited by andyfanshawe; 10-27-2011, 09:27 AM.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I take it this Dinitrol stuff works a bit better than the Permatex rust converter I tried that hardly did any long-term good at all?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The body bushings are going to be the last thing I do to my mom's CV before paint. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do this without help. It'll probably take more than one weekend to do, so I might need to take an extra day or two off from work. I love how clean everything looks underneath that wagon.

Packman

Comment

Thanks Andy

I was referencing those pics from the beginning of your readers ride thread and you just answered my questions. Just couldnt figure it out from the pictures you had.

thanks!

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
          Hi David.

Heres a photo of the energysuspension universal poly body mounts. One big washer up against the floorpan, the bigger black bush on next, then the frame, then the smaller poly bush, then the other big washer under that, then put the bolt and the tubes through and tighten up. No other spacers needed.

You can just about see the centre mount in this photo.

Any more info you need, let me know.
          Andy.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Now its time to make the rear door on the drivers side to fit properly. For those who remember, the main door is now lined up well with the rear quarter and the rocker, but the window frame touches on the top right....

and is too far from the B post on the left........

So it needs to be moved to the left about 1 cm...ish.

Heres the first cuts with my trusty fav tool - my air saw..

As you can see I am cutting out the frame along with the steel it is attached to and then move it over a bit.

Here it is loose on one side

Other side not photographed but cut the same way.

Heres the door frameless!

Pity I can't get that to work! Looks good. Or could I? No, stop it - lets just get this car painted!!!

Completely cut loose and ready for prepping for welding

Here it is moved to the left a bit and tacked in. You can see how far it has moved over by the gap

Tacked in the other side

Fully welded

Now need to reassemble the door and move the window runners over a bit and also the dew wipe on the weatherstrip trim that goes on top of the door.
            Then its on to the drivers door.

Andy.
            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Managed to get the door back on today and trial fitted the glass. And it all works!!

The gaps look superb...don't know how it comes over in the photos.

I love the smooth look already down the side.

And the glass is not blacked out yet. Looking forward to stripping it back down and prepping the door now for primer.

Andy.
              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

You really are going "all out." I love it!
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

looks good andy. how much of a gap between front and rear door do you have

Comment

Hi rellik god.
                    Too much! But the gap between the front door and the fender is tiny, So it needs to be moved back.
                    The A post is rusty at the top anyway, so that will need cutting out and replacing pretty soon.

Andy.
                    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

andy I'm sorry if it's been discussed previously but what are you welding with? we are just starting to learn how to weld in school
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                        andy I'm sorry if it's been discussed previously but what are you welding with? we are just starting to learn how to weld in school

Hi 1990LTD.
                        Most of it is done by MIG with argon/co2 shielding gas. If i have to weld heavier stuff, but not too heavy, and I can get away with it, and not set things on fire, I use oxy acetylene (gas welding).
                        I learnt to gas weld when i was 18, and I'm now 50! I love gas welding, but it does tend to distort things.

MIG is very quick but you can't play with the welds as you can with gas. And the beads are harder with MIG. Not as easy to clean up.

Are you enjoying it so far?

Andy.
                        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Drivers door stripped down next and after removal of the door trim and glass, time to get rid of the handle and lock..

I'm seriously glad to get rid of those handles. I'll have 5 spare soon if anybody wants any!

The door mirror will be the next to go the way of the trash! When I took it off it fell apart! Have a look at the repair job underneath the mirror

When I looked at the door under the mirror it was obvious that the mirror had been hit and made a good job of bending the door

Here is the first attempt at straightening it out. Thick plates and a bolt between them

An hour or so later... the straight version

Its going to be welded up anyway and another mirror moved to a proper position a bit further forward. In fact I may even use the internals of the old mirror and design and build a new outer shell.

Andy.
                          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
                            Hi 1990LTD.
                            Most of it is done by MIG with argon/co2 shielding gas. If i have to weld heavier stuff, but not too heavy, and I can get away with it, and not set things on fire, I use oxy acetylene (gas welding).
                            I learnt to gas weld when i was 18, and I'm now 50! I love gas welding, but it does tend to distort things.

MIG is very quick but you can't play with the welds as you can with gas. And the beads are harder with MIG. Not as easy to clean up.

Are you enjoying it so far?

Andy.

cool, thanks - we have only been cutting so far with oxy-fuel welding torches. it is fun, but this week we actually get to use MIG. MIG seems to be a lot cheaper to get started with.
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Progress is okay at the moment, certainly going to be a few hours spent in there this winter!!

Thinking forward, once every panel is cut, welded, smoothed prepped and primered, they are all going to come off and go into storage (may have to leave front fenders on though).

Car will be put into the centre of the garage with the wheels on a railway sleeper each. The the front and rear springs removed and the wagon lowered down onto its bump stops.

Then bump stops removed and wagon lowered further until the front ball joints go to their limit of side to side movement.

The distance from the bottom of the rocker flange to the floor will then be measured. This is the distance the body will be channeled over the chassis so I can get it on the floor at full drop on the future airsprings.

The car will then be raised back up to its original factory suspension position and soild rods fabricated and put in place of the springs.

Then the fun begins - car stripped to a shell and floor/firewall cutout and everything lowered. And welded up.

One thing I know for certain is that the hood will have to be a cowl induction one to clear the engine, that will have made a break upwards!!

This is going to be one fun winter!!!!!!

Andy.
                              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Hopefully this winter is not like last winter; for everybody's sake.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                                X