X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andyfanshawe
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    A lot of these are rusty around that spot. I've always suspected the water runs in from the top side of the firewall under a seam or something, or maybe its just running down the A pillar water channel and dumping on the hinge, and the water runs around the bolts and gets between the layers.
    Hi gadget. You could be right there. Need to do some more digging to find out.

Andy.

Leave a comment:

• hemihotrod402
    replied
    Been a while since I've checked in, and this was the first thread I ran to, you're making awesome progress! I know of a lot of people (including myself) who don't pay half as much attention to detail as you do.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    A lot of these are rusty around that spot. I've always suspected the water runs in from the top side of the firewall under a seam or something, or maybe its just running down the A pillar water channel and dumping on the hinge, and the water runs around the bolts and gets between the layers.

Leave a comment:

• andyfanshawe
    replied
    Over to a very suspicious looking A post.

So, what I am going to do is to peel back the layers and try to see what exactly is going on.

First section removed

Second bit peeled up

Third bit peeled back (hinge reinforcement)

and last bit clear so far.

This is some heavy rust. And I know for a fact that the passenger side is far far worse - to a point where someone has welded the hinge to the A post because the bolts dont work anymore!
    I still need to find out why its rusted in the first place.

Andy.

Leave a comment:

• andyfanshawe
    replied
    Thanks guys!

Lip welded in

Now its time to reduce the width of the lip. Masking tape on and a pencil line to cut down

and cutting

Here's an interesting discovery. Final paint sanding and this line of rust appears through the paint

Same line with rust ground out

That would have caused some paint bubbling a year or so down the line.

Here is the fender all flatted back and ready for a skim of bondo and primer.

Andy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X