Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 Crown Vic - CUSTOM PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Crown Vic - CUSTOM PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my new daily driver (if I can keep it running). The previous owner beat the hell out of this car…to such an extent that I cannot believe its still running. Issues are too numerous to list. The PO performed the custom paint as well as custom wheel caps. I think the PO's theme for the car was part goth, part lion king, part octopus…….she was somewhat of a free spirit apparently.

For the price, I had to buy it. The car drives a lot better than it looks.

I am just learning to work on cars and so far this has been interesting….

Can anyone tell me exactly which fuse to pull to disable EFI for a compression test? Compression test is happening tomorrow. Lots of shit went down this week.

Thanks and enjoy!

There was a rat living under the plenum. A real sly motha

No A/C belt....no worries

Trunk has custom mural but cannot be seen in this picture.

A few minor probs on the interior: non working gas gauge, not all of the idiot lights appear work, missing some covers here and there.

Custom wheel caps. Does anyone know how to clean the turbines, if possible?

I think this pic kinda speaks for itself. Oil leak has been fixed.

You can kinda see the trunk mural in this one

Another center cap, this one is of a skeleton wrist....

Just a few days ago the car sprung a leak at the timing cover where indicated in this picture from ebay motor. The leak has now more or less stopped leaking???

The stopping of that leak seem so coincide with recent bad news.......mayo on PCV, oil cap, oil dipstick. I was hoping it was from cold oil (short trips only) but I now believe there is coolant combusing. Exhaust is not billowing white, but its humidy and sweet. I am compression testing tomorrow. I block tested last night by putting tester in radiator fill hole and block tester showed no exhaust in coolant but I dont belive it. I'm gonna block test again today after getting her warmed up further. I am also installing a elec temp gauge b/c I have no idea how hot or cold this thing is running.
    I hope to god its not a head gasket. Oil level is not high. Last night was the first night that I noticed the mayo. Coolant is combusting somehow and I need to find out where. Maybe EGR? Maybe lower intake? Can EGR be run dry?

Here are some pics. Also the PCV currently in car is part #9020.....is that even the correct PCV? I must replace PCV, grommet, screen soon probably this weekend.

Mayo on PCV.

Mayo on grommet.

I am thinking about renting pressure tester too.

love the things on your center cap whered you get them?
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

welcome to the club!

you might end up doing more work than you had originally planned if you hang around here very long, lol. i think a mayco paint job would do it wonders.
      1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
      1994 MGM GS Montigua
      2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Uh Oh, Better get Maaco.

Comment

Can always crank the engine from the solenoid or with a 15/16" socket on the balancer. No need to disconnect anything SEFI-related.

If findings are discouraging, at least Windsor motors are easy to swap out and comparatively cheap to replace.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thanks all.

I love this car. I am going to try to clean the turbines and plenum with a plastic bristled brush and some simple green and see if that works.

I will keep y'all appraised on the other updates.

Comment

That is an interesting CV. You might want to do whatever engine work, suspension work, and body work before tackling the paint. This way you don't scratch a fresh paint job; wherever it's done. I have yet to find a way to clean old beat-up turbines. Have fun though and good luck.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                I have yet to find a way to clean old beat-up turbines. Have fun though and good luck.

Packman
                paint 'em.
                1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                1994 MGM GS Montigua
                2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Water down the simple green a bunch because it can etch and spot any bare aluminum.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks for the tips 87CP, Packman and 87GT.

Zoomie - those center caps are hand moulded somehow, if I ever get rid of them you can have them.

I cleaned the plenum and turbines. The plenum looks better after the cleansing. The turbines look even worse after the cleansing, lol, now all the scratches etc are just brought out.

I'd like wheels and exhaust but the engine stuff is gonna have to come first. Damn this car is fun to drive!!!!!!!

Comment

Pull the coil wire off if you want to compression test it. The proper way to do this is to remove all of the spark plugs anyway, in which case it can't possibly start. Also, throttle wide open.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

paint suggestion

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                        paint 'em.
                        Black turbines...Leave the center caps/wheel lips as-is.
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

WOT will kill spark and fuel. If you want a quick check of compression, do this, WOT, crank it. As it's cranking listen to the rhythm of the engine. If you hear any irregularities as it's cranking you have big differences in compression in the cylinders.

Comment

welcom to gmn mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Turbines...find someone with a sandblaster. That's the best solution I've found for the old disgusting clear coat. :smirk:

sigpic
                              - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Working...
                              X