No announcement yet.

My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are some sexy lookin' wheels right there. Make sure to get a bunch of picture of the whole car once the front trim rings are on.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

headers are back

After 3 months my headers are coated!!!

In the mean time I have done a few things.
      1- oil and filter change.
      2- trans fluid and filter change (first change on new tranny lots of black clutch material from break in) put on a pan that takes 2 extra quarts
      3- Changed heater core (PIA!!!) original one was leaking.
      4- eliminated the temp senser in heater line and put in shut off valve to keep heat out of inside of car in summer.
      5- installed new condenser. made sure I have all parts to complete a/c hoses will make hoses once headers are in.
      6- insalled larger front swaybar.
      7- re-adjusted the valvetrain.
      8- put in all the cruise control under the dash. everything is done except the carb end of cable I will put in new carb first. modified old message center buttons to run the cruise control.
      9- can't forget the new tires and wheels.
      10- put heat wrap around starter.
      11- had a 1g. positive battery cable changed it to 0g. to match the negative 0g. cable.
      12- installed the neutral safety switch on tranny

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-27-12 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1269096
      sigpic
      89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
      "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

#13 should be: took pics of it all!!!

sounds like it's coming along, larry.

how often does one need to adjust the valvetrain in these motors?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Just had a little tap on the drivers sids and wanted to make sure the cam was ok after break in. The one rocker was a little looser then the rest. Made sure the lift matched all the rest of the lobes to insure the cam wasn't wearing on one lobe. Should not have that small tap anymore. Should never have to do it again.
          sigpic
          13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
          "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Did you put a flow restrictor in the inlet hose to the heater core?
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Just put a ball valve in the core inlet hose.
              sigpic
              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

The exhaust is in.
                Still havn't went over the bottom of the car yet. I need to get out the wire brush and rust remover then the reformer. Good thing this will never see salt again!!!
                Summit h-pipe Flowmaster S bends and impala tails with aerochambers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5-2-12 003.jpg
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1269122Click image for larger version

Name:	5-2-12 001.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1269123Click image for larger version

Name:	5-2-12 007.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1269124

I did put a small 0.5" notch on the driver's crossmember at the #6 tube. After they were torqued down it looks like I didn't need to. There is a 0.75" clearance there now and the engine pulls away from that side.

I did get a video recorder finally so I need to get one up here.
                sigpic
                13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

lookin good....probably soundin even better.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                    After they were torqued down it looks like I didn't need to. There is a 0.75" clearance there now and the engine pulls away from that side.
                    Don't launch it in reverse then :p

Comment

I wish I had known you wanted Aerochambers, I have a pair of offset/offset Aerochambers I would have sold you cheap.

And I disagree on the exhaust being done, you need a pair of cutouts before the mufflers so you can make the teenagers crap themselves
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

the idea of a sleeper is to make them not suspect anything. And then hand their asses to them.

Comment

All these expensive goodies, with an economy Fram filter.

sigpic
                          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

I liked the Fram racing filter due to the 22 psi bypass valve.
                            The others were rated at more like 10-12 psi.
                            If these ratings are true then a 10-12 psi valve would never close since my engine never goes to that low on the oil pressure.
                            sigpic
                            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              the idea of a sleeper is to make them not suspect anything. And then hand their asses to them.

that's why you wire them up to a switch so you can open them after you've been sitting at the light and a civic pulls up.
                              sigpic

Comment

Yep, electric cutouts ftw, why would you want to get out of the car to unplug the exhaust?
                                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                                X