This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattsTownCarSS View Post
    the relay it has on there now is a 30/40AMP relay swap it for a 40/50AMP.

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
    Oh yeah, just like how it's a great idea to swap a 15 amp fuse for a 30 amp fuse when the 15 keeps blowing.

Thanks, but I'll take electrical advice from John instead.
    A relay is NOT a fuse.....

The 40/50 A will handle a heavier load than the 30/40 but has no bearing on the protection of the circuit.....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
      and whatever is blowing it will let the magic smoke out and you'll know what to replace.
      Actually, in this case, the wire melted before any component did. It was a hot wire for a relay that ran off of that fuse that came off of the relay when Matt added the under dash carpeting. The gray fuzz ones.

Comment

John, what type of relay should I be looking to buy? Keeping in mind that I work at you, know and who's.
        1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          and whatever is blowing it will let the magic smoke out and you'll know what to replace.
          thats right! see how easy that is? in soviet russia, you dont find problem...problem finds you!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            thats right! see how easy that is? in soviet russia, you dont find problem...problem finds you!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
            -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

John, what type of relay should I be looking to buy? Keeping in mind that I work at you, know and who's.
              Honestly, I don't know if it's a relay problem without looking at it. First things first, I'd just check to make sure all of the terminals on the lock/unlock relays are connected. I don't remember which relay was for the lock. Wouldn't be too hard to figure out with the car in front of me. Let me know when you're going to stop by, I'll look into this issue.

Comment

Probably sometime after Friday after next, doesn't look like my first option for the heater core is living up to his word. It will be worth it to me if you can help me with this issue alongside the heater core.

I'm also getting rid of the keyless entry. I haven't used it once yet, but it's contributed greatly to drain on the battery... if NOT, then at least it's one more dumb thing I can whittle down the list of what's causing the drain.

Going to replace the positive lead going to the main relay today, too. The car had no juice, hooked up the charger, voltage was 12.6. I was like what the fuck. Played with the old cable and it fired right up.

I'm also considering replacing the main relay before it fails. The one the positive lead connects to. Do they still make a factory replacement?

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

I'm going to have a nice video for you guys tomorrow afternoon. You won't BELIEVE what I'm dealing with under the hood,

I'll post the answer to the riddle of how you solve a weak starter motor, dim headlights and a faulty alternator with one amazing solution that costs less than $10.00.

Comment

I'm going to have a nice video for you guys tomorrow afternoon. You won't BELIEVE what I'm dealing with under the hood,

I'll post the answer to the riddle of how you solve a weak starter motor, dim headlights and a faulty alternator with one amazing solution that costs less than $10.00.
                    Yes, I would.

Was it a soldering iron?
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

As you dig deeper you WILL find more "goodies"!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

By the way, what was the point of there being a 3rd digit speed on the meter? I wrung out the engine pretty good today, had the throttle pinned for miles... learned three things:

1: Engine falls flat on its face at ~4,200 RPM.
                        2: The speedometer will NOT read above 85
                        3: The AOD will not stay in 4th when the gas is pinned. Almost over-revved.

I suppose it makes a great excuse if I ever get stopped by a State Trooper since I could argue that the speedo SAID I was doing 85, but I'm pretty sure I was doing north of 100. Still, it seems pointless for the gauge to be able to read '1XX', but yet it's programmed not to read higher than 85.

I dunno, you guys tell me what my speed was. 2.56 rear end, 4.1K in 3rd and P215-75R15 tires.

It's nice to know this car has way better pickup than the '86 though.

Comment

the car does stay in 4th gear with wide open throttle your just hearing the motor over rev like it is in a lower gear it is still in 4th. i never had an issue with the transmission of that car it always shifted fine(i can back this up cause john drove the car numerous times and never had an issue with the transmission). stop fricken flooring the gas numerous times you probably fucked the transmission yourself now for doing that. it never had transmission problems when i had it. if it is indeed not staying in 4th gear with WOT then you fucked the transmission yourself and you have no one else to blame but yourself.

and you have 3.08 open rear in that car. and face it with the speedo only reading 85 theres no way to get around that as the analog ones read 85 too. deal with the 85mph limit. you shouldnt be going over that speed anyway. if you want it to read higher than 85 than put the unobtanium PI 135MPH speedometer in there. only one has been seen so far and resides in MrMarquis gm. he wont give it up i can tell you that now. so for now deal with the 85. if you decide to get rid of that speedo please mail it back to me i will pay for shipping. it took me a lot of work to make that speedo and if you cant live with it's 85 mph limit then give it back to me.
                          Last edited by MattsLincoln; 11-19-2011, 11:27 PM.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I hardly ever floor the gas, smartass. Usually my eye's glued to the tripminder and I'm accelerating slower than a granny and max speed below 55 trying to keep my avg MPG above 20. I just happened to need to be a place in a rather short period of time and had a wide open stretch of road to wring her out on.

And yes, it DOES kick down into 3rd @ unknown speed. I let off the throttle until it shifted into 4th, thinking it was just doing a typical AOD gear hang, slowly rolled back onto the gas and it kicked down into 3rd.

U lying.

Edit: I would have actually preferred the original analog one because usually when they do a full circle, 5 equals either 125 or 135. Just gotta snip the peg off. :P But that's okay, it won't really be important until I throw the new powertrain in and start doing high speed stability/top speed runs. Right now, this car is a little bit scary above 80 though not half as bad as the '86; I'd rather not do that again.

And thanks to a certain alteration I made, the Mercury shouldn't leave me stranded in the manner it did today, THREE TIMES, again. That's what put me behind the schedule in the first place. :|
                            Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 11-19-2011, 11:32 PM.

Comment

normal AOD operation does not allow 4th gear when at WOT
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                                normal AOD operation does not allow 4th gear when at WOT
                                I suspected as much. What would have to be in place to correct that? Just for future reference.

Comment

Working...
                                X