Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did, it's a Prostart remannie'd. Lifetime warranty, rated at 130 amps. Listed for '95 Taurus 3.0 Vulcan. $145.99 for non employees + $30 core charge. Already installed it. The old one was only supplying 11.6 volts with the heater and defroster going.

Now the car's running in high idle mode no matter what the water temp. It was fucking bogging and backfiring like crazy at the gas station where it died while pulling in. Ask John; he was there most of the time. Every time i tried to get it running, the piece of shit did something different. It's so fucking inconsistent it's not even funny. I almost killed the battery trying to start it. I'm not even sure if it will reliably take me to work on Friday or not. I hope it just stays stuck in high idle mode and not do anything else - HI mode is a blessing in disguise since it doesn't stall in stop and go traffic that way. -_-

edit: ECU ground is connected and properly grounded. Good guess, that's the first place I looked. :/
    Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 12-08-2011, 02:36 AM.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

if it wont high idle down. check the connections on the alternator and make sure that the high idle cam wire is tied into the white stator wire coming off the alternators harness. it could have ripped off when installing the new one if it's fine there a black hocky puck on the side of the cfi unit thats the high idle cam hockey puck replace that and see if that resolves your issue im betting it has to do with the connections going to the alternator. please post pics.

what side is the ecu ground attached to. on the merc i think is was on the negative on my lincoln it's on the positive terminal dont know why they must have switched it up later.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I'll post pics when it isn't 35 degrees and raining buckets outside.

Expect them tomorrow.

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

wow raining over there its pouring buckets of snow here

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

What could the fast-idle pulloff possibly have to do with the alternator wiring?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Matt a ground is a negative always. (unless you're dealing with cars that are positive earth which means the positive terminal is the ground.)

Comment

Well, the old man isn't being very helpful... as always. What a hypocrite.

Gonna take some pictures now. What exactly am I looking for again?

Comment

If there was no ECM ground the car wouldn't run period.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    If there was no ECM ground the car wouldn't run period.

hate to break it to ya vicky but EEC-III cfi is so fucked up that if the ecm ground wasnt hooked the damn car would still run. it has happened to me before ground broke off the terminal driving and the car was still running.

to answer your question about the alternator wiring on cfi cars they have from the factory the high idle cam tied into the alternators wiring dont ask em why it's stupid cfi shit. remember i had his same problem of it not going out of high idle when i first did my 3g swap 85HPP said to hook the stator wire to the high idle came too. i bet you thats the problem.

Comment

read this thread i posted about my 3g swap. gadget says to hook up the choke wire to the white with black stripe stator wire on the alternator and it should kick down then.

Everything to do with interior and body electrical including headlights and tail lights. CFI specific discussions and AC/heating systems.

Comment

It wasn't the alternator wiring that was causing the car to be stuck in high idle...

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
                          It wasn't the alternator wiring that was causing the car to be stuck in high idle...

did you find out what it was also please post pics really hard to help you without pics. if it isnt the alternator wiring than the high idle cam is bad. replace it unless you rather have the car stay in high idle. still post pics if the wiring connections going to the alt.

Comment

These pictures were taken after the "fix".

Comment

It probably ran because there's a short in the harness.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

So, why was the car idling so high? Because there was a COOLANT TEMP (or oil pressure) SENSOR WIRE sticking between the idle adjuster and the high idle actuator.

The wire was jammed BEHIND the idle adjustment screw. I had to remove the screw to get the wire out. Gee, I wonder how it got there?

Comment

Working...
                                X