'87 Colony Park LS. Yea boy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'87 Colony Park LS. Yea boy.

Finally got the yacht home. 3/87 build date. Completed in St. Thomas, rail shipped to a dealer about 5 miles from me. The original owner traded it to a local shop in exchange for work on another vehicle. They planned to run it in the destruction derby , but luckily our State Fair went bankrupt haha. So, a year later I saved it from the crusher for $600.

It's moved less than 1,000 miles since December 2005. Oiled the cylinders and turned the motor over by hand. Conditional to the sale I had the shop change the fluids, drank and refill the tank, and put an inspection sticker on it, and replace the tires. Put in a battery I brought and turned the key. She fired right up! Idled a little rough, and stalled when I let my foot off. Started again and she was able to hold idle. Squealed like the dickens, and smoked. White smoke. Looks like a bad hose patch had seeped some coolant onto the pass. side valve cover. Checked all of the pulleys, then put on a new belt I'd brought and tightened it up well. She was finally running well this time. After about 30 minutes of checking things out I headed home.

She ran like a top on the 45mi trip home. All but a couple stop lights of it was highway. Managed to hit a gps indicated 105mph on a hill coasting. I'd forgotten what the couch feel is like. Radio needs the contacts on the volume knob cleaned. Everything works except: rear door and wagon door windows. Even cruise and AC. AC is weak, a little luke warm. It's been fully converted to 134, so I'll charge it and see what happens. With some heavy handed help the read left window goes down in jerks.

Went through the paperwork when I got home. 130,700 miles. Had some regular svc. with good parts, but nothing major. The rear seal on the trans is leaking after driving. It's also jerky getting going from a stop in 1st gear. However, 1st gear speeds once moving are smooth. OD works flawlessly, TV cable is adjusted well. Tomorrow I plan to detail it throughly, tune up and clean the engine, and swap on my 3rd gen alternator if I have time. Probably take the trans to a shop to be looked at. I'm hoping to take our first road trip on Friday, so time is short. I have an LS, but with the convenience package and dealer "Environmental package." I'll get good pictures tomorrow so y'all can tell me what's up.

And a picture of the truck for good measure.

Dave- collector of the old, slow, and free
    86 F250 SD. RC,LWB, 300/6, NP 435, 4.10lsd Sterling- 96k miles. Sanford & Son status
    87 GMCP. Blue/blue cloth. Low option. Beat and bruised. Trans makes werewolf sounds.

Sounds like this could work out well for you. Did they change the tranny fluid for you? Did you check the fluid level when it was hot? Small Bubbles?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'm hopeful J. The truck I got for free. Replaced everything from battery to plugs and it's been running almost a year. Getting near 20mpg too. These unloved field rescues are my favorite projects.

I didn't do much with the thing today, didn't check the fluid when warm. It's not burnt smelling. Didn't get home until 430 and had to clean up the yard and run to DMV. Tomorrow morning I'm running out to pick up a tach and water gauge, then I'll tear into it. I'm hoping the fluid is low because of the leak. Not familiar with the Ford auto's, but I figure it's not healthy haha.
      86 F250 SD. RC,LWB, 300/6, NP 435, 4.10lsd Sterling- 96k miles. Sanford & Son status
      87 GMCP. Blue/blue cloth. Low option. Beat and bruised. Trans makes werewolf sounds.

Comment

If it jerks coming from a stop, could it be U-joints/ or final drive? Does it also shudder when you first start to decelerate?

and congrats! I own two of this car, and can answer many questions on it I've enjoyed my land yachts.

Comment

I'm sure I'll have plenty, B. No shudder decelerating. In fact, the only time it's an issue is getting going. No noise from the rear end, but I admittedly didn't check driveshaft play. I did spin the rear tires and driveshaft by hand when we drained and refilled the fluid. Didn't feel any issues by hand, no visible damage to the teeth. So I think the issue is between u-joint and bell housing. I was too preoccupied with everything to pay close attention, and only had 6 stops coming home. But, I think there's also a delay getting going from a stop, requires gentle throttle play. The Marker for the gear doesn't line up with the gear designations on the dash either.

On a more hilarious note: found out the original owner won the lottery back in 2009 haha.

Comment

Nice car.

Remove the steering column covers and loosen the brittle looking white plastic ring around the shift tube. Slide it until the gears line up with the indicators in dash.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks for the Tip, David. I'll put it way, way down on the to-do list haha.

And she's not on the blob's level, might never be, but this turd might have a little polish on it still.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave804 View Post
                And she's not on the blob's level, might never be, but this turd might have a little polish on it still.
                Your car runs, drives and stops. Got to start somewhere
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Didn't get what I wanted to done today. We had a prolonged thunderstorm that had the power out for a few hours. I did get it registered, insured, and went over my own inspection to verify what the sketchy shop did. I did clean the windows with isopropyl and salt, put on a set of Bosch wiper blades, and changed the air filter. I charged up the A/C, and for about 12 hours now it's been working.

Made a list of options I'm missing: No auto lights, no power on pass seat, only AM/FM radio, no trip computer, manual climate (which I prefer). The front door locks are stuck. Don't work with the lock buttons, and keys don't work. Maybe some manual BFH and lube can help out. The back door windows appear to be dead motors. I'll pull the door panels and see if I can get away with new motors or gears. I think the rear door window might not be getting power. The latch for the passenger front ashtray is broken. The cover for that side's puddle light is gone. There's a panel of some sort missing below the glove box. Just the insulation visible.

The radio is rough. Wiggling the volume knob makes the passenger side speakers come on. I have an AM/FM/Cass with FM modulator in the truck. Looks like the harnesses are the same, I'll try swapping tomorrow morning. I need to vacuum it well and freshen the air, clean the tires, wheels, and wash/clay/cut/wax/buff etc. I'm taking it on a 3hr road trip tomorrow night to a friend's beach condo. Should be a good christening. Taking a BIG tool box haha.

After things calm down next week I'd like to put in a temp and vac gauge so I can start shooting for economy. And, flush all of the fluids again, send them off to testing. Replace the wood vinyl with the stuff from Summit, and remove any brightwork that needs it for buffing. Snapped a couple pictures today of the pre-elbow grease crappiness. I've got the alarm set for 6am. Looks like the weather will cooperate, and tomorrow night she'll be sitting pretty in the sunset.

Comment

The front door lock motors are most likely rusted solid. They can be removed/disconnected to free the locks to work with the key. They could also be replaced.

The most common problem with window motors are the plastic bearings around the drive gear. They are cheap and available from Dorman. That is if the motors run.

Jay

Also, Change the PCV screen. It is often neglected but can clog and cause serious problems.
                    Last edited by jaywish; 08-03-2012, 07:21 AM.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I think I found one of the problems with the rear door: The ground strap is in two pieces. When I touched it, a big chunked snapped off like a biscotti in my hand haha.

More bad news on the trans: Reverse is perfect. Going from a stop in 1st is a shuddering, jerking motion. Then it's like it balances out and we're good to go. I'd suspect driveshaft, but I'm pretty sure I slipped into N making a 20mph tight right hand turn today.

Comment

DId you inspect the fluid when hot? Any small bubbles?
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

No bubbles in the fluid. I adjusted the TV cable a little to the tight side, and oh my god it's like a new trans. Finally rides like a luxobox.

I made a 106mi drive up to the beach tonight. Car ran great, hit a gps indicated 104mph. Returned 22.3mpg. In the parking garage I heard a hissing. Turned around, and saw ALL of my coolant forming a good 15ft puddle on the ground. Radiator appears to have exploded. Absolutely hilarious to see.

Comment

after that run, a hose probably pissed itself. this is why the speedos only marked 85. they don't much like being run over that for extended periods.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Actually it was a Federal law that prohibited speedometers for the general public to read beyond 85mph. The theory was people would drive slower if it looked like they were at the cars limits. I have forgotten the woman"s name who created the law, but I am glad I have forgotten her name. Still owe her a kick in the butt for that dumb law.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X