No announcement yet.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did this car spend it's entire life in Florida or elsewhere? Perhaps there is a reason for so much rust as I have never seen it down here.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Fixing rust properly is a PITA

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        Jesus, all this rust in FLA? My dad has a place damn near right on the water but I never see cars with any rust on them when I visit. Certainly nothing like we see here in MI.
        Unfortunately the car came originally from Illinois, mix in a leaking windshield and that I abandoned the car for two years without proper care with school. Bad rust became worse.
        1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
        Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
        Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
          Did this car spend it's entire life in Florida or elsewhere? Perhaps there is a reason for so much rust as I have never seen it down here.
          Illinois
          Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pivichot View Post

Illinois
            That explains it. Depending how long it was there and what it was exposed to.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

So, quick update. Trying to make these more often. Just bought a few more things for the Manual Swap. Just got a brand new flywheel and clutch for the car. Also doing maintenance items on the engine. New Intake,water pump, rear seal, Oil pan gasket, Timing cover gasket, and a timing chain kit. Going to be taking out the engine since I want to paint the engine bay and reinforce the firewall for the clutch. It became on of those since I am there might as well do. Also worked more on the rocker panel. The replacement rocker panel is nothing like the factory one. Have to weld it on top of the old metal. Not ideal I would think but it'll be covered. Once I finish the welding going to do some Bondoglass to make sure there wont be any issues with it reacting with humidity.

sigpic

Comment

There is no humidity in Miami……
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

How are the inner rockers? Mine are MIA on the 88.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                    How are the inner rockers? Mine are MIA on the 88.
                    Had to cut and install a piece of 3 x 1 square tubbing to have an inner structure. Half of it is still there
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      There is no humidity in Miami……

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X