No announcement yet.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can't get the speedo correct with the Tweecer and Mustang computer you could look into the Ford Racing Speed Dial. I run one on my DD '91 Grand Marquis and it works great. I got mine from LMR.com. I believe it will work with the 4R70W.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

speed dial should work on any ford VSS signal (and any other 8000 pulse per mile VSS for that matter).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have just been to lazy to replace the gear. Since I am going to replace it with a 4r70w, I might just wait to buy the correct gear for the swap. I don't drive the car everyday, once or twice a week.
        1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
        Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
        Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
        sigpic

Comment

If you can get the proper gear that will be the best option. Much cheaper and easier to install a gear.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

they don't make one for 4.10s in a panther. you'd need an aode/4r7xw with a 7 tooth output shaft instead of the 8 tooth panthers got (this is the part the driven gear goes up against inside the trans). swap the output shaft when you do wide ratio gears and you'll be able to use a 21 tooth gear for stock tire size. It will still be off a tiny bit, but not more than about 2mph at any point. With the stock trans, you need a 25 tooth gear and the highest tooth count they make is a 23 tooth gear.

LMR has a calculator on their site: https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Spe...ear-Calculator

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

That is the reason why I am ditching the AOD. Already Have a 4r70w that I will swap because of this same reason. Currently I use my phone since the speedometer is based on GPS.
              Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
              sigpic

Comment

What's more, you get the benefits of Jmodding, plus you're safe from the stupid TV cable (and its tendency to burn up transmissions if it gets disconnected). Call me paranoid, but I'd rather not have another failure point on a car. Going the Jmodded 4R70W route with my '89 next summer, so looks like we both have stuff to look forward to.
                '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I was assuming he had a later 92 with an AODE if he's going to swap in a 4r70w. If he has an AOD on an early 92 bastard block... the 4r70w won't bolt up because sbf pattern 4.6 bastard block.

Comment

He got the 4R70W from a 98 Exploder with the 5.0, so he's good to go on bolt pattern.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

ah. gotcha.

Comment

One nice thing with the 4R70w though, you can program your shift points. I wouldn't want one with a 4.10 rear gear though, first gear would be like granny in a pickup. I'd probably run an AODE out of an SN95 to keep the close ratio gear set, or run a 3.27 rear.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have the wide gears in my 88 with 3.55L rear and I have NO problem pulling 1.5 tons behind me. The drag from the truck axle on the trailer is the only real annoyance.

Comment

I recently rebuilt the rear end with 4.10 gears. Reason was is because the car is staying N/A. also, I have read that some people with 4r70w have gone with 3.73 and wished they went with 4.10 gears. The car is mostly driven in street. Gets better mileage than with the 3.08 gears. For the swap, I will be going with an aluminum driveshaft. I would occasionally want to take it drag racing. Also, I only drive this car once or twice a week. at 60 mph, I am close to 2000 rpm. With the 4r70w I am gonna guess somewhere near 2100 because of the difference in Overdrive. The engine that I am going to build will hopefully be in the range of 350 hp at the engine or about 300 hp at the rear wheels.
                            sigpic

Comment

you will definitely have LOTS of get up and go with that setup... you will have to pedal it off the line most of the time with that much under the hood. My 93 is putting 230hp/274ftlbs to the wheels with the PI swap and 3.55 gears and I can roast the tires on a dry day if they're cold for at least 3-5 rotations (both tires, I have a 8-clutch carbon fiber clutch pack in my limited slip). That's with the original AOD with the straight ratio gears. With the wide gears I could probably roast them warmed up too. The 88 with the lopo and wide gears and 3.55L puts it's max torque down at off-idle, so it will roast the tires for 1-3 rotations no matter what. If they're cold, it'll just spin for about 6 feet or so. You're planning to build more than double the power of the lopo and half again more than my PI swap... so you're looking at a fun ride for sure. You will definitely be running high RPM on the highway. I will say that the mod motors like mid to high RPM better than the lopo, but make sure you have a good drive shaft or the high speed vibration will cause a world of hurt at the end of the quarter mile when you're doing 100 mph or so.

Looking forward to seeing this all come together.

Comment

Current update. Got the ecu for the 5.0.

Now, I just need to find wiring diagrams for the following vehicles.
                                1994 Mustang GT ECU pin out.

Where do you guys suggest me to find the diagram. I have searched on google, but the pictures don't state specifically which year. I have the engine harness diagram for the motor I have, since it has the harness connected on the engine.
                                Also, where might I be able to find the manifold for the AC compressor for a 88 AC compressor?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X