Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purplebomb302
    replied
    I haven't done much with the car since I did the valve covers. I found the frame is rotted on the passenger side from around mid front door to mid rear door. So that kinda depressed me a bit. A guy I work with has a friend that owns a shop 2 blocks from me and is going to find out if he does frame work or if he knows another shop that does. I don't wanna get rid of this one when I know it's fixable. I also bought another motorcycle which has been getting more attention than the car.

Leave a comment:

• L1011tristar17
    replied
    Permadry's for the win!

Leave a comment:

• purplebomb302
    replied
    Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
    Valve covers look good, and yes, they look so easy on a CFI car, but they kinda blow in reality. Those Permadry's have been on nearly everyone of my cars, they get around!
    Thanks!

I also forgot to mention that I had to put a bunch of washers on the long alt bolt and grind down the nut that goes on there to keep from crushing the cover in that spot.

So far no leaks from where I broke that bolt on the head. Gonna tackle it when I feel like ripping the pass. side off again to get it out.

Leave a comment:

• pantera77
    replied
    Valve covers look good, and yes, they look so easy on a CFI car, but they kinda blow in reality. Those Permadry's have been on nearly everyone of my cars, they get around!

Leave a comment:

• purplebomb302
    replied
    So I was only able to accomplish the valve covers today. I didn't realize how much of a bitch these were to do. I don't remember them being this hard when I had my Mark VII. It wasn't that bad to do. I broke 1 bolt on the pass side tightening it down. Never felt it get tight then snap. Defective bolt maybe. I bought all new ones as the old stock ones wouldn't reach the head.

On a scale of 1-10 for difficulty, a thrown extension with a long 11mm socket is about a 3. So about a 3. So far no oil leaks with the broken bolt.

I'm also glad I've got a spare motor. The end of the coil where the plug wire goes onto broke off inside the wire so I had to swap coils. Thankfully the spare also had nice gaskets cause I forgot to buy them.

Oh, and the past owner didn't like oil changes too much.

So I'm hoping within the week here I can do the headers. I'm absolutely sick of the noise coming from the broken AIR line on the pass side cat.

Also, does anyone know what size belt to use with A/C for a smog delete?

Leave a comment:

• purplebomb302
    replied
    Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
    The rear 2 oil pan bolts and the 2 that go into the timing cover are different.

So swapping the CFI unit helped huh? Glad to see my old engine going to a good use!
    Yes it has! I knew something was up with mine when I looked at those injectors.

I think I may have a vac leak someplace. When I floor it, wether its from a dead stop or cruising, I get a couple pops like a backfire from someplace then it gets up and boogies. Not too concerned about it now since I haven't been doing a lot of that.

Maybe next monday I'll do the headers and valve covers. Depends on how lazy I'll be from having an actual 3 day weekend.

Leave a comment:

• pantera77
    replied
    Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    No problem. Appreciate the info.

Oh and the only two bolts that are different than then rest are the two that go into the timing cover?
    The rear 2 oil pan bolts and the 2 that go into the timing cover are different.

So swapping the CFI unit helped huh? Glad to see my old engine going to a good use!

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    You're telling me that the two bolts that hold the oil pain up to the bottom of the timing cover on that engine have threads past the nut?

Leave a comment:

• purplebomb302
    replied
    Yea they have threads sticking past the nut.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    No problem. Appreciate the info.

Oh and the only two bolts that are different than then rest are the two that go into the timing cover?

Leave a comment:

• purplebomb302
    replied
    Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Hey can you count the amount of oil pan bolts please? If you bought the tranny to from Zach how many bolts holding the transmission pan?
    There are 22 bolts. Unfortunately I didn't buy the trans off of him. I've got no room for it.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Hey can you count the amount of oil pan bolts please? If you bought the tranny to from Zach how many bolts holding the transmission pan?

Leave a comment:

• purplebomb302
    replied
    I bought an engine off of pantera77 in pretty decent shape. I also got some valve covers from him too and some other little bits.

I decided to swap the TB from the new engine onto mine today before work. Boy what an improvement. It starts, idles and drives way better than it has since I've owned it.

One thing that's got me is that the 1st-2nd shift is way better. Instead of taking around 2 seconds to shift, it shifts like my Mark did. You could feel it shift outta 1st then take forever to complete. Kinda hard to describe. It don't do that no more.

Leave a comment:

• purplebomb302
    replied
    I got pissed and cut the tab off.

Seat back on:

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    heat it up from the underside.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X