No announcement yet.

I bought a box!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No joke, my twins are now 7 so it's a little easier to distract them but still a pain in the ass. I got lucky and bought headers super-cheap, my brother donated the mustang h-pipe, I bought mufflers from summit, and tailpipes from rockauto. Took a while to get it all together and my exhaust guy charged me quite a bit to cut and re-shape everything to tuck up real nice, which it does. Few months later I spent 400 to get cats put back on it. Elsewhere it's not as bad but I had to buy/install the "Special" commie California cats that cost twice as much. This place blows. Seriously though, headers are dirt cheap on ebay and a fox mustang off-road pipe isn't much, just requires a little cutting to not hang down stupidly.

Comment

I got a fox X pipe off of CL for 80 bucks with the muffler ends sawed off, so I was planning on picking that up soon. Shorties are super cheap compared to long tubes that I'm used to looking at it. I have a welder friend so that should help. And Ill probably cat delete, but I dont live in a communist state.

Comment

There's no long tube that fits a box without severe modification anyways, and it's a complete waste of money on a lopo (or HO/Explorer for that matter) anyways. Stock duals are shit, but they at least fit, mustang parts fit awful, but they can be made to at least somewhat work.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

for the cruise... if it comes on initially but fades out, it's probably the check valve next to the servo not checking... or the vacuum lines are loose or the vacuum release valve on the brake is leaking.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah it comes on, and then all of a sudden I will start losing a bit of speed. I will turn it off and drop like a rock at that point. Going after vacuum hoses it is.

Comment

Sounds more like the check valve that's right next to it. If the smog pump was removed... the fat line on the T section headed to the passenger side can be plugged/capped as that was the helper line from the smog pump. It would pull extra vacuum for those long hill climbs that drop vacuum in the engine for a long enough period of time to allow the check valve to bleed out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Alright guys, I caught something I hadn't managed to catch before. Sometimes when the car is in drive, but I am not on the gas too hard, there is an audible hiss inside the car. Only in drive not in reverse or neutral or park. (normally the radio masks the noise).

Comment

Probably vacuum line that goes to your parking brake release. Mine fell apart back by the vacuum tree/firewall and caused some interesting idle issues. I believe it's the bottom-most line on the vacuum tree, or at least was on my '90. Should be marked "P/B" on the tree. Pull that hose off and put a vacuum cap on, see what happens. Vacuum tree is on the firewall behind the upper intake plenum passenger side/center.

Comment

I'm guessing that could also make the cruise control unhappy?

Comment

Ashley's hisses like that that sometimes and that white crescent thing was replaced. Sly once said what to look for behind the dash but me lazy and didn't check for it so forgot. Her cruise used to do what yours did but then that trip to Virginia last year somehow fixed it. Guess it's good to work stuff that hasn't been worked in ages. My car just got back from Florida road trip, put over 2k miles on it I think. Car burns a lot of oil when trying to run anything over 80mph but uses very little when 75mph or less is maintained. Whole trip made it consume nearly five quarts. Based on MPG it seems happier at 75 than it does at 70 or 65. Best I could pull with snow tires inflated to 36psi was 21 and some change. Very comfy though, couldn't imagine doing the road trip in anything else short of an old conversion van.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Alright. So been busy with school and work but got them fat stacks and a bit or ambition and good weather. May go replacing some vacuum lines this weekend.

Car has made the trip from Ponca and back several times without any issue but the cruise. I sometimes idle a bit low in drive (4-500 rpm), don't know if that is a vacuum problem or maybe the electronic module on the distributor.

Comment

Cruise control will not stay on in 4th, and the car will refuse to downshift with it on.
                          The car will studder and shake whenever I try to accelerate in any gear. I can either floor it, or lightly put pressure. It doesn't matter between 1/4th throttle and 4/5th throttle. No extra vroom vroom.
                          The car accelerates out from 2000 rpm on fine though.

Comment

check the TPS and see if it sweeps good. Need an analog meter for that. The needle shouldn't twitch, short, or open at any point.

Comment

make sure the bushing is still there too. They won't downshift if the tv cable comes undone. apologies if you already replaced it or have an 86. I didn't read the whole thread and its not in your sig what the car is.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's an 86 MGM. Though should also check that the cable is still attached at the transmission. It's rare, but that end can sometimes fail.

Comment

Working...
                                X