No announcement yet.

The Tan Lady - A 1997 Crown Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read something about the wires heating up after you turn the car off to burn off any contaminants. Maybe someone can comment on that. Maybe stuff has been cooked on too well. I suppose you could try repeated cleanings, but I have no idea if that would do anything if it's that bad. As has been indicated, touching the wires is a big no-no, but if you're absolutely at the point of having to replace it otherwise, I guess you'd have nothing to lose.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

one wire heats and the other doesn't... the difference in voltage indicates the amount of air flow with the air temperature sensor. I've never touched the wires and every time I've heard of someone touching the wires... they've bent or broken them. If it doesn't work now... replace it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        one wire heats and the other doesn't... the difference in voltage indicates the amount of air flow with the air temperature sensor. I've never touched the wires and every time I've heard of someone touching the wires... they've bent or broken them. If it doesn't work now... replace it.
        That's what I had read too. I still have to clear the code again, but I fully suspect that it will throw a MIL sooner or later because of it.

Looking at a few aftermarket numbers to replace it with, and they have a multicolour coating on the one wire. What's the benefit of that over the motorcraft part?
        ************************************************** ******************************
        1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
        1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
        http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

I have no clue other than maybe price. I've only changed one MAF and that was because I moved from a 4-wire to a 6-wire (air temp sensor on the MAF) on my 93 as the housing was falling apart on the 4-wire one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            I have no clue other than maybe price. I've only changed one MAF and that was because I moved from a 4-wire to a 6-wire (air temp sensor on the MAF) on my 93 as the housing was falling apart on the 4-wire one.
            Yeah, could be. I was thinking it might be to prevent build up that normally occurs... like a slick protective coating. But then again, most of these design choices are fueled by cost rather than function. Unless it's the expensive part... but these are the economy replacements. Oh well.
            ************************************************** ******************************
            1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

I have been driving her a bit more these days now that I'm at home on parental leave and my wife takes our "good (mileage)" car (2014 Kia Optima). I think my sensor cleaning job has been the perfect band aid since I have done lots of highway speed driving and have yet to throw an MIL.

The brakes were doing their false lock up ABS activation again a few days ago, but the last couple of days have behaved perfectly fine.

All in all though, I'm falling more and more in love with the car. I was driving her tonight in the dark and her brights lit up the landscape like an atom bomb. And I loved the soft green glow from the instrument cluster and the radio controls. Felt very comfy and at home.

Unfortunately, I do have someone interested in the car coming to take it for a test drive tomorrow. Still deciding if I should sabotage the car in some reversible way to make it less desirable or not.

Oh, on another note - the black paint on the pillars was kind of cloudy looking and I was not impressed with how that finish looked. Looking around at what I had on hand in the garage, I rediscovered my Simoniz scratch remover compound stuff I bought to fix the clear coat scratches on my Buick and clean up the headlight lenses on this Vic. So, with nothing to lose I gobbed some on a pillar and buffed it out. Finish looks awesome now!

Comment

The car is conditionally sold. I still have her until Saturday though. I'll go for some cruises to get the most out of our time together before we part ways.

Comment

And just as fast as she came into my life, she is gone.

I'm not sure how long I will remain pantherless, but probably a while for the time being. The wife has hinted on a number of house projects she wants to get done in the coming years, which will eat up most of our free monies. Can't really blame her though, since I kinda want the upgrades too. However, it still sucks not having a Crown Vic. I'll see if I can find a way to make some secret side cash...

I'm just not sure when I'll find another one as clean as this one was. She wasn't perfect, but she was very far from bad. Probably the cleanest body of any aero up these ways I have ever seen. It'll be a hard act to follow.

Thanks for everyone's advice and help with this car. Again, a great community and I'll still be lurking around.

Comment

Working...
                  X