X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kishy
    replied
    Originally posted by Stocker View Post
    Good news on my last UOA! I think I can confidently push my OCI out to 2500 miles now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50608[/ATTACH]

I'm surprised that there was no fuel in it though. It's been running pig rich off and on the past couple months, enough that it's affecting gas mileage, so I expected there to be something noticeable.

I also decided that I need to install my power seat track before I take it on another long trip. The fixed seat angle is fine for daily driving, but as tall as I am it gets uncomfortable after a couple hours.
    Nice...is that the report Blackstone gives? I've been interested in analyzing the oil from the Town Car, for kicks, but the cost was a bit of a turn off last I looked into it. The personalized feedback is cool though.

Although I am overall fond of the seats in my 2-door, it has manual seats, and I know exactly what you're talking about, being a tall guy myself. The manual seat fixed angle oddly cants your seating position which screws with distance to steering wheel, distance to pedals and dash/column to knee distances.

Leave a comment:

• Stocker
    replied
    Good news on my last UOA! I think I can confidently push my OCI out to 2500 miles now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jul 2018 UOA excerpt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	1284420

I'm surprised that there was no fuel in it though. It's been running pig rich off and on the past couple months, enough that it's affecting gas mileage, so I expected there to be something noticeable.

I also decided that I need to install my power seat track before I take it on another long trip. The fixed seat angle is fine for daily driving, but as tall as I am it gets uncomfortable after a couple hours.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Yes, it's the same tone, least it was for my '85 Vic.

Leave a comment:

• Birdofprey
    replied
    Oh, here's a fun repair I almost forgot. The tone generator chime was barely audible, and because of that I drained the battery once from leaving the lights on.

The foam gasket that holds the tone disc degraded over time, so there was nothing for the electromagnet to pull against and get sufficient tension. I forget the size, but all it took was a hardware store O-ring.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]49763[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49764[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49765[/ATTACH]
    Awesome, thanks for posting that info.

Does the key and lights on use that same chime? I've got a faint key tone but nothing for when the lights are on. I've recently drained the batt by leaving the lights on.

Leave a comment:

• nfldfordltd
    replied
    Beautiful real box Vic. Best colour too. Enjoy it!

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    I originally heard the "snake blinders" term on Oldsmobile boards... guess it wasn't common outside of those guys.

I forgot about that at the time, but I trust the shop and I'd expect that if the nylon cam gear were still there, the owner would've mentioned something.
    They would have to remove the timing cover to find out.

Leave a comment:

• 79lincolnlover
    replied
    I've had a couple of close calls with deer...Thankfully the roads weren't slippery at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Stocker
    replied
    I originally heard the "snake blinders" term on Oldsmobile boards... guess it wasn't common outside of those guys.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    I hope they changed the timing chain while the cover was off. 85 had the crap plastic gear on the cam, if it jumps you'll bend valves.
    I forgot about that at the time, but I trust the shop and I'd expect that if the nylon cam gear were still there, the owner would've mentioned something.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    usually thats referred to as "granny trim" around these parts.

Leave a comment:

• knucklehead0202
    replied
    Yeah the snake blinders thing threw me too, although the lower trim did cross my mind. That's a super-clean car. Optioned like most vehicles i owned in my 20's; sparsely.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Nice box! Color is the same of my old '85 LTD. Reminds me of mine but with a lot fewer options (I like me some options..)
    I dig the black steelies with the dog dish hub cap.

I was also curious what snake blinders meant, thought the same thing as 87gtVic..

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    I hope they changed the timing chain while the cover was off. 85 had the crap plastic gear on the cam, if it jumps you'll bend valves.

Leave a comment:

• Stocker
    replied
    Thanks guys!
    Snake blinders = the trim at the bottoms of the doors.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    Never seen a repair on the chime. My 90 needs that job done.

Looking good so far! The dark blue is one of my favorite colors on boxes. You may be able to find a spray bomb for that header panel to make it blend a bit better until you can do the whole car. Maybe something like https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-B.../dp/B00407TV7M

I’ve also got a Cutlass in the family, a 76 Salon but with the 260/5 gear. Next project for me. It’s basically a box too just with GM guts instead of Ford guts?
    Sort of, pretty close in size although the A-body has a lot more length up front. Those 5-speed cars are exceedingly rare, only 0.3% of production in '77 so I'd imagine about the same for '76.

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    Seems like any original water pump in these cars seems to go once they get some miles put on them again after sitting. I like the dog dishes. What are "snake blinders" never heard that term used before.

I would be beyond mad if it took a shop 8 months to return my car on a water pump job...even if they had to destroy the water pump to get the stud out (i guess they never heard of an oxy/acet torch!?)

I'm really glad you posted that about the chime... the O-ring is a good idea, I'm going to do that with mine!

Oh and made sure the TV rod pressure is good, what speeds does it shift under light acceleration? Hows the transmission fluid look/smell. Transmissions dont usually lose gears for no reason, maybe theres some debris that passed through the valve body, or the TV rod got stuck in some position and did weird things at the time
    I can't recall off-hand what speeds in shifts at besides going into 4th between 40-45. But the shifting has always felt smooth and confident except for that one time. Fluid is fine.

I told the shop to take their time if it could save money. I didn't drop it off until May so it was only about 3 1/2 months.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Nice work man. Car looks really nice. Luckily the deer didn’t mess with your bumper as finding those can become difficult, especially in that variation. No rear defrost on the car. I don’t see that to often.

I’m Curious what You are calling snake blinders as well. I figured it would be the ditch lights but you don’t have any!

Leave a comment:

• Brown_Muscle
    replied
    Seems like any original water pump in these cars seems to go once they get some miles put on them again after sitting. I like the dog dishes. What are "snake blinders" never heard that term used before.

I would be beyond mad if it took a shop 8 months to return my car on a water pump job...even if they had to destroy the water pump to get the stud out (i guess they never heard of an oxy/acet torch!?)

I'm really glad you posted that about the chime... the O-ring is a good idea, I'm going to do that with mine!

Oh and made sure the TV rod pressure is good, what speeds does it shift under light acceleration? Hows the transmission fluid look/smell. Transmissions dont usually lose gears for no reason, maybe theres some debris that passed through the valve body, or the TV rod got stuck in some position and did weird things at the time

Leave a comment:

Working...
X