Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Another way to boost A/C performance is to have ceramic tint or whatever installed. I did that on my Town Car (except for the windshield) and no matter what the temp is outside, it'll get mighty frosty on the inside. Another trick is to keep the thing in recirc mode- leaving ATC cars at full cold in low or medium fan speed should do it.

Leave a comment:

• 1985crownvicltd85
    replied
    Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    So the heater control valve allows you to bypass coolant flow through the heater core right?
    correct.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    So the heater control valve allows you to bypass coolant flow through the heater core right?

Leave a comment:

• 1985crownvicltd85
    replied
    Originally posted by kishy View Post
    I'm sure there are very few of these cars left that have all of their HVAC hinges still fully intact. Retrofitting little hinges seems to be the way to go, and is what I did on my wagon.

Ages ago I bought a heater control valve along similar lines to what you did. I think it was for a Ranger. Never could figure out how I wanted to route the hoses so I just never ended up doing it. I can definitely imagine getting the extra heat out of the interior would help the AC work far better.

Yes, the plastic hinges are definitely not built to last. I wish I had done this to the grand marquis when I had the box out earlier this year. Next time I guess.

As for the heater control valve I definitely recommend adding it to achieve better a/c performance out of the vents.

Leave a comment:

• kishy
    replied
    I'm sure there are very few of these cars left that have all of their HVAC hinges still fully intact. Retrofitting little hinges seems to be the way to go, and is what I did on my wagon.

Ages ago I bought a heater control valve along similar lines to what you did. I think it was for a Ranger. Never could figure out how I wanted to route the hoses so I just never ended up doing it. I can definitely imagine getting the extra heat out of the interior would help the AC work far better.

Leave a comment:

• 1985crownvicltd85
    replied
    Next, I added a heater control valve to help with ac performance. Vacuum line goes through the firewall to the vacuum line of the recirculating door.

As you can see its double clamped because its a 3/4 hose going over a 5/8 tube of plastic. So far it hasn’t blown apart, if it does I’ll add 5/8 to 3/4 brass union. It looks ugly but works great.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 1985crownvicltd85
    replied
    Update. Since getting the Grand Marquis I haven't really driven this car. Its mostly been sitting. This month I started driving it again.

When I first fired it up I noticed that the mode selector for the climate control would not change modes. After some diag I found it ended up being a broken plastic hinge.

So I removed the box under the dash, drilled out the rivets and separated it into two pieces (better access to the door and plastic hinge) Then added a proper hinge and resealed it. I didn't bother replacing the heater core since I had already done so in May 2018.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Nice job on the A/C install, like it left the factory with it.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Nice. Looking like a 79.

Leave a comment:

• Tiggie
    replied
    Looking great.

Leave a comment:

• 1985crownvicltd85
    replied
    New look: Click image for larger version

Name:	575D744E-EEDC-400B-896D-3F77C8E1C1A3.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	3.88 MB
ID:	1290720 Click image for larger version

Name:	1A14BD23-0B56-44E5-962D-092466D82C68.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	1290721

Leave a comment:

• Kodachrome Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
    Thanks, I hope it does too.Next I have to install those lincoln logs you sold me. (Should probably have done that before installing the ac components.
    A/C takes up some of that space, but honestly it's a doable job with all the stuff there. My '87 still has working A/C, so I just worked around it. I'd argue that getting the Lincoln Logs in might be a touch easier than probably dealing with those cast iron lumps since I'm sure they weigh a whole lot less.

Leave a comment:

• 1985crownvicltd85
    replied
    Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Gotta love it when a job is darn near plug-n-play when adding features.

Hope the A/C keeps you frosty!

Thanks, I hope it does too.Next I have to install those lincoln logs you sold me. (Should probably have done that before installing the ac components.

Leave a comment:

• Kodachrome Wolf
    replied
    Gotta love it when a job is darn near plug-n-play when adding features.

Hope the A/C keeps you frosty!

Leave a comment:

• 1985crownvicltd85
    replied
    For those wondering I had to swap the Hvac controller, added evaporator, accumulator, new lines, condenser, compressor, r12 to r134a retrofit kit, and used a 1987 grand marquis for its brackets, crankshaft pulley, water pump pulley, smog pump pulley. As for wiring everything was there and plugged right in. Currently blows ice cold
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X