• Show
Clear All

1985 Grand Marquis 2-Door

Click image for larger version

Name:	72B7630D-2F4A-40C3-9CF5-28B8A7AF57C9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	1305115

1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2-Door, Central Fuel Injection, Flat Tappet Non-Roller 302ci, Automatic 4-Speed AOD, 3.55 K-code Rear Limited Slip, Original Black paint, Burgundy Velour Interior, Premium Sound, Ride Engineered Suspension, lotsa chrome

Bought this car July 2018 and I've been doing many things to get it running smoothly and properly. CFI kinda sucks and I will upgrade this engine later. Small improvements I've done since then consist of a K&N filter, Hooker Max Flow muffler dumped, race crank pulley, a/c and smog delete, electric fan, and I'm in the middle of a 3G alternator swap. I've also replaced the TPS, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, EGR valve, 02 sensor, distributor, and ECU. In August of 2019 the thirty five year old cooling system gave out entirely, so I swapped to an aluminum radiator. At this time I also replaced the radiator hoses, installed a 180 degree thermostat, changed the water pump and since it was right there in front of me, I upgraded to a Melling double roller timing chain. It also has an aftermarket Temp gauge and Tachometer, since neither of these were available options in this trim. Now I'm slowly advancing towards suspension updates. So far it's received new sway bar end links and a new Motorcraft Idler Arm. All in all, its beautiful in its entirety. An impeccably chiseled line structure. Interior comfort unmatchable to the present day commuter. A rear wheel drive, eight cylinder gargantuan of the roads. I love it.

And its also rocking 275/60/15 Mickey Thompson Drag Radials, but they're just for looks
    1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
    1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Beautiful car. Great colors. What part of CA. are you in ?

Comment

Thank you, these two doors are so mean looking. They almost look like a Ford/Mercury version of the Grand National. Im in Southern California, an hour north of Los Angeles.
      1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
      1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Originally posted by sluggish91 View Post
        Thank you, these two doors are so mean looking. They almost look like a Ford/Mercury version of the Grand National. Im in Southern California, an hour north of Los Angeles.
        So maybe the Bakersfield area or Lancaster ? I know all that area very well
        I have a 83 GM 2 dr.

Comment

The Ventura County area in a little big city known as Oxnard. Not many too many boxes in this area, let alone 2 door Marquis or Crown Vics. I've only sighted a two door once that was in the next city over, and it was in rough shape. I like all boxes, but more partial to the 2 door.

Comment

CFI is cool. To study up on & learn about it while working on it is to love it.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

SWEET car. Post more pix man. Lotta love for these cars in this place, and REAMS of knowledge available from some of the members.
              Welcome.
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Yes, Ventura. My last duty station in the Navy was at Pt Mugu . Had a chance to work in Ventura for the State in 88. Could not afford it. Even more now.
                You have a nice car !

Comment

Nice-looking car. I'm on the edge of LA/Orange County. I'll be interested to see the direction you take with regard to modifications, being that we're in the worst state when it comes to being able to enjoy your car, or much of anything really these days...

Comment

Looking mean. Enjoy her.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks great with the drag setup! Good looking car.
                      Current Fleet:
                      2011 F150 Harley 6.2L with 2.9L Whipple
                      2009 G8 GT LS3 with LSA on E85
                      2004 MB CL600 Bi-Turbo V12 (For Sale)
                      1979 Ford LTD 302...

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        CFI is cool. To study up on & learn about it while working on it is to love it.
                        I've learned a few things so far. This was a new system for me entirely, so it was fun to learn new things in the process of getting the CFI to work exceptionally.

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                          SWEET car. Post more pix man. Lotta love for these cars in this place, and REAMS of knowledge available from some of the members.
                          Welcome.
                          Thank you, here are a few
                          The day it was brought home

Name:	IMG_1015.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1286209
                          Looks like the previous owner wasn't an Obama fan. (They were proudly repping an "Obama: Impeach Him" bumper sticker)

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1286207
                          My Black exterior and Red interior 2 door and Senior's White exterior and Blue interior 4 door. Exact opposties?

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1286208
                          With the original wheels, and Seniors 4 door peeking a bit.

Name:	IMG_2840.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1286210
                          Front end

Name:	IMG_1526.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1286211
                          Rear end

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1286212
                          Drivers View sans tachometer because I hadn't installed it yet

Name:	IMG_1210.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1286213
                          And another two just because....

Name:	IMG_3623.jpg
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1286214

Name:	IMG_4180.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1286215

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            Yes, Ventura. My last duty station in the Navy was at Pt Mugu . Had a chance to work in Ventura for the State in 88. Could not afford it. Even more now.
                            You have a nice car !
                            Thank you for your service, my uncle was Navy for 20 years and so was one of my best friends for 4. Its a nice area around here. My parents bought a condo here in Oxnard in the mid 90's when you could still move in to an entry level home for under 100k. Is that even possible here in California nowadays? I'm laughing, because its not.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                              Nice-looking car. I'm on the edge of LA/Orange County. I'll be interested to see the direction you take with regard to modifications, being that we're in the worst state when it comes to being able to enjoy your car, or much of anything really these days...
                              Thank you, and to run 7s in the 1/8th mile without a power adder is the goal. I got my 88 Mustang to run an 8.14 @87.98 with a 100 dry shot of nitrous, so dipping into the 7.9 range with this car would make me pretty happy. Plus it would be good competition for those 2011+ Coyote powered Mustangs.
                              Heres a picture of the 88, aka BAD BUSINESS, with the Marquis right behind it.

Name:	IMG_4513.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1286216

I have friends who make it possible to "enjoy" the car without worries if you know what I mean. Here in California you can enjoy what you like but there are always a bunch of hoops you gotta jump through. How the power plant currently sits.

Name:	IMG_4971.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1286217

Comment

Working...
                              X