No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It probably states this somewhere in this thread but I don't remember. Is this original paint?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
      It probably states this somewhere in this thread but I don't remember. Is this original paint?
      It's mostly original. There's a couple palm sized patches on the hood and trunk and the left rear quarter repainted between the door and gas filler.
      So yeah, original paint, it's thin on top and seems super soft.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Ford's white paint seems to not be super robust. Every one I've ever seen has a ton of rock chips and such. My Mark VII has a bunch in weird spots that I doubt came from rocks. Lots of them have been touched up by the previous owner but they are visible if I look close.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Things have gone full circle, I put the wire covers back on. Grandpa spec is back in style!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230611_162713.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	1389413

Still battling the flu, had to wash the birdshit off the car and while at it I rinsed the dusty dirty wire covers. They should really be dismantled and and given some chrome polish. I popped the center off one of them and concluded that it'll be for another day. Bunch of interlaced bits and my foggy brain isn't up to the task yet.

Another thing to do once I'll be feeling better is to remove the rear seats, C-pillar trims and the parcel shelf. I need to take off the C-pillar trim to reinstall the GM badges outside and the interior cloth is drooping. The parcel shelf could do with a recovering, the material is terribly sunburnt and crumbly. Might aswell replace the rear speakers while at it, I'd atleast see what I'm doing.

Comment

I need a time out.

When the AC compressor is engaged, there's some sort of resonance from the right front corner at certain RPM/load/speed, most obvious at around 80kmh. Drives me nuts, I've checked all the ac lines so they won't rub, belt is tight, everything I could imagine resonating like that I've stuffed rags between and still that damn vibration/resonance is there.
            Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ab...ew?usp=sharing
            (headphones recommended)

That troubleshooting ended short today after I realized the passenger side rear axle seal is leaking profusely.
            Fuck.

Comment

Nope, nevermind. Both sides are absolutely soaked in gear oil.

Comment

I wish the compressor in mine only made that much noise. I should get a video of it sometime, you guys will get a kick out of it. The Conti and the Mark VII are quiet, its only that stupid reman compressor on the Towncar that does it. The prior one did not, this one has sounded like a dying air raid siren since I put it on easily 10 years ago. Doesn't leak and works fine so i've been ignoring it but damn is it obnoxious.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nothing's more discouraging than seeing the project you just completed fail. Hopefully the second time is the charm on those axle seals.

Wire wheel covers look good. I know they're often ragged on, but there's something about them that fits these cars. They've got the right amount of complexity to balance out all the trim around the windows, and bling too.
                  1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

I wonder if I should just buy a new pair of axle savers, those ones where the bearing is in grease and not gear oil. Those would probably not leak... That'd be the cheap fix.

Or the right way to fix: New axles, seals and bearings. The cheapest pair of axles from RA plus the other bits and bobs would be ~450€ to my door. Too bad I've been unemployed since Sept.
                    Biggest hurdle is my utter and total lack of motivation to do all that shit again, and shops are expensive.

My gripe with AC compressor making noise is that it didn't do that until recently, it has to be a resonance, it only does it at ~80km/h.
                    Can a belt be too tight and cause that? Can I take out the inner fender and the battery will stay put?

Comment

Often the left axle in a used housing is in good shape, I know parts cars are few and far between but still it is possible. On the bright side It should all come apart easily this time.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                        Can I take out the inner fender and the battery will stay put?
                        Most likely not.

There is a bracket underneath where the battery sits that may be enough to hold it in. I havent tried.

It is quite the task to remove the inner fender. The fasteners often rust and the j-nuts/u clips rust and you have to hold the broken bits to spin the fastener loose. The rear of the inner fender is much easier to remove than the front half by the radiator and core support.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ordered new axle shafts, bearings and seals. Could've gone the cheaper route but I just can't do it. I can't halfass things, otherwise it'll bug me till the end. Also I'm probably not selling the car in the foreseeable future so I guess I'm dumping more money into it...

Comment

Took out the rear seats and C-pillar interior trim, I need new cloth for the covered pieces, the backing is too crumbly to re-glue, original cloth is super thin, spray glue would probably soak right through it.
                            Dunno what I should use to reinstall the C-pillar interior badges, silicone glue, epoxy or the real deal push nuts. The first two would keep water out better too, there's some streaks from the holes on the inside. Push nuts would be the correct way, but I'd need to order those. Haven't even found a finnish name for push nuts

Comment

Use headlining material for the "C" pillars. It comes with thin padding. Use 3M 707 spray adhesive.
                              I would use the push pins but 3M emblem adhesive would work fine too.

Comment

C-pillar emblems have been reinstalled, I just used epoxy. Sanded the studs on the emblems so it'd hold better. I tried finding the push nuts locally but no luck. Could've ordered online, but didn't feel like waiting a week for some overpriced trinkets.

Didn't find a good upholstery material for the C-pillar interior pieces, there's some velvety stuff with an okay-ish colormatch but it looks different. I'll try to remove the original cloth off the cardboard backing, see if there's any chance to reuse it.

Comment

Working...
                                X