Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Yeah, I don't have any fucks to give about ZDDP after reading that blog. I remember adding some STP ZDDP additive to my '88 C3500 with it's flat tappet 454. Oh how that made me feel good, like I was doing the right thing. There are plenty of oils on that list which have loads of ZDDP and offer ultra inferior protection film strength wise. So there's no correlation between that schmutz and oil superiority. Go for what provides the most film strength and is both affordable and obtainable.

Nice underskirt photo. Ecoat is a wonderful thing, just look how clean those floor pans are as a result. By comparison, the rear end is scabbier a small child's knee. I've only seen one cleaner, and it lives in my garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170804_140901.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1290607

Leave a comment:

• Arquemann
    replied
    Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    "Don't pay attention to what the bottle says, only the performance of what's in it."
    Indeed I found it kinda funny when researching the ZDDP values of this and that. The "classic car oil" that I put in advertised having ZDDP which is good for old engines yadda yadda. The same maker (Comma), makes a very similarly priced 20W50, which happened be out of stock actually has more ZDDP and it isn't advertised at all. I think it was 0.08% vs 0.11%, that's quite a remarkable difference, considering the lower is advertised having lots of ZDDP.

Anyways, enjoy this underneath shot of my "rust-free" MGM:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
    Interesting list, especially the Royal Purples being mostly down low. I've got some fanboy friends who swear by that pompous shit...
    Right?? Lots of Motul and Redline fanboys as well. Hype is why I switched to Shell Rotella T6, it was reputed to be great stuff. People using it in their LS powered Corvettes and all that on track day. Yet on his list, it's complete shit, think it only offers about 45,000psi of protection. I think somewhere on his blog he said 85 or 80k psi is the minimum for most applications, anything over is great and anything over 100k is outstanding. Something was also mentioned about additives similar to MotorKote- they increase the film strength of the oil but also increase the likelyhood of corrosion or something like that over time. Something to do with the chemistry of the additive. So that's why I won't use that any more except for in the lawn mower because well, lawn mower.

He also said something to the effect of "Don't pay attention to what the bottle says, only the performance of what's in it." Recommends 5W-30 in any application regardless what the OEM specifies. He's got reasons and logic as to why and all that on his blog.

Edit: I think yellow Monroes are heavy duty shocks- my truck has them on all four corners. Still doing good some three years after the fact. They're now mostly black thanks to Krown.
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 08-17-2022, 12:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Arquemann
    replied
    Interesting list, especially the Royal Purples being mostly down low. I've got some fanboy friends who swear by that pompous shit.

Oh by the way, the rear shocks are yellow Monroes, does that mean they're old as shit or those po-po spec ones? Couldn't make out part numbers sadly.
    Either way the rear shocks look pretty toast.

Leave a comment:

• friskyfrankie
    replied
    I have only used Motorcraft OEM Oil Filters, for MANY decades and have never had an issue. We're talking Ford vehicles only. Not to say other high quality filter won't work as well but I am not one to experiment with my cars.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X