Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arquemann
    replied
    Well I have one friend that's always willing to pay a couple bucks for old 15" tires to eventually turn them to noise and smoke.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    Tires on my Mark VII are kind of the same, but I will ignore that until next year. I've rarely worn tires out, they usually age out. Pretty annoying replacing tires that aren't at least getting somewhere near the wear bars but thats just what it is.
    This.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Tires on my Mark VII are kind of the same, but I will ignore that until next year. I've rarely worn tires out, they usually age out. Pretty annoying replacing tires that aren't at least getting somewhere near the wear bars but thats just what it is.
    The dry rot is just barely starting to show and the tread is like new, I could probably get by until I park it for winter but better safe than sorry. I figure I also may as well do it now when I a have the money. Who knows what my financial situation will be like in a year, not that I have doubts just that one never really knows.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    It’s been a busy day. I worked 9 hours if you can call selling auto parts of dubious foreign origin to customers of dubious intelligence work.

Then I came home and washed both cars, conditioned the leather, and 303 aerospace’d everything else including the top on the Mark VI. That’s about enough for today.

Next week will probably be tires for the Mark VI plenty of tread on them but there are signs of dry rot starting to set in.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    my truck does the same thing, also doesn't have remote start though it was an option. I think its more about the security system. The PCM gets input from the key and if it agrees that conditions are right it turns on the starter. Its no real effort for the mfg to take over control of when to disengage the starter to keep it from being run too long. I've never tried it, but I fully suspect if you hit the key in a newer vehicle while its running, the PCM will not try to engage the starter. I can see the mfg doing that to extend the life of the starter and avoid flexplate damage just so they don't have to worry about replacing them under warranty if people do something dumb.
    That does make sense.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    my truck does the same thing, also doesn't have remote start though it was an option. I think its more about the security system. The PCM gets input from the key and if it agrees that conditions are right it turns on the starter. Its no real effort for the mfg to take over control of when to disengage the starter to keep it from being run too long. I've never tried it, but I fully suspect if you hit the key in a newer vehicle while its running, the PCM will not try to engage the starter. I can see the mfg doing that to extend the life of the starter and avoid flexplate damage just so they don't have to worry about replacing them under warranty if people do something dumb.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    On the topic of starting my ‘01 and ‘03 Town Car’s allowed you to just turn the key to start and they would automatically crank until the engine started. Dad’s 2012 Mustang does the same thing and so did my 2013 Chrysler 200.

I don’t know if that’s something in there for remote start or what? None of the above mentioned vehicles were equipped with remote start.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    ^^ this, engine has to spin far enough to know what cylinder is coming up. 4.6 cars have a crank position sensor so it requires less than 1 rotation for an ID, 5.0 cars do this from the distributor so it can be up to 2 rotations.

CFI cars don't care what cylinder is coming up, its batch fire so it just sprays one injector or the other. I expect the trucks would also light off quicker for the same reason.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    All the SEFI/EFI stuff waits for the offset pin on whatever sensor they get timing from. Some require one rotation of the engine (crank sensor) the rest require 2 (cam/dizzy sensor). So if the fuel pressure is good, one to two turns of the crank should get it to start firing. "Should".

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Reminds me, I remember my '85 would start nearly instantly too. Makes me think they program a delay into most cars, maybe for oiling reasons?
    I don't' know. All of my 4.6 panthers from the '95 MGM to the '03 TC would start almost instantly too unless they sat for a few days. I don't think I've ever had a vehicle sit for more than a week without starting it.

Leave a comment:

• clutch47
    replied
    Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Reminds me, I remember my '85 would start nearly instantly too. Makes me think they program a delay into most cars, maybe for oiling reasons?
    ...But... THAT would make sense....

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Well it's only been 24 hours but so far so good "knock on wood." I've also noticed that it's starting a lot quicker since I did what I did. Almost an instant start as opposed to a second or two of cranking.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Ok so I put the new ignition module/Duraspark box in today mainly because the clips were busted on the plugs on the old one. I cleaned the connectors up real good with some contact cleaner and a tooth brush, did the same with the crank position sensor plugs. We'll see how it goes from here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X