Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodachrome Wolf
    replied
    On hot days, the A/C compressor will seldom cycle, if at all. When it’s a bit milder you’ll catch more normal cycling activity.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    I got an answer to my last question from gadget73 over on LincolnsOnline.

But I have another question, this one about A/C. I haven't messed with an A/C system in about 10 years and even then I only so so knew what I was doing. I noticed while sitting in line at a drive through tonight for between 5 and 10 minutes that the A/C compressor never cycled on/off it just ran constantly. Is this normal or is it a sign that the system could be over filled? My '88 MGM used to cycle a fair bit but at the same time I don't know if that was right. I could never tell what was going on with the newer panthers like my '02 LSE because you can't really tell that the compressor is running unless your watching it.
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 07-18-2021, 10:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Does anyone here know for sure whether or not all Mark VI’s came with the turn signal lenses with the Lincoln emblem in them?

Mine don’t have them so I’m figuring they’re an aftermarket replacement, then again I also know that little things changed on the Mark VI between 1980-83.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Had the exhaust leak fixed today. They replaced the passenger side air pipe for the smog pump. I ordered that through work, my cost was about $25. Also got a new muffler and tail pipe, everything else was good. Shop cost was $75 and it doesn’t sound like a farm truck anymore.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    Turns out my problem was actually the connector. I got another inertia switch from the yard because I thought that was it, but the plug fell apart when I went to change it. The terminals were cooked. Changed the plug and the switch and it's been fine since.

I like cars that *could* be used as a daily if needed. means they are reliable enough to actually use instead of look at.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    I have an appointment to get the exhaust leak fixed Friday. I’ve put about 600 miles on the car so far in the two weeks I’ve had it. No leaks, trans fluid looks really good, no oil consumption granted it’s a little early to tell. The receipt I have from June shows that there’s just over 1,000 miles on the oil and filter. Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor were also changed back in June. Why the previous owner spent the money on a K&N oil filter but didn’t replace the filthy and undersized air filter I’ll never know.

Everything seems to be going good other than that issue I had from the fuel pump inertia switch. My NOS one showed up this morning and I got it installed. The old one was so bad you could tap it with your hand and trip it.

I noticed “Made in England” on both the original and replacement switch. I’m thinking Lucas? No wonder it was an issue, I also recall that gadget73 was having issues with his at the last ScottFest I made it to, 2015 if I recall correctly?

I really need to stop treating this thing like it’s my daily, but it’s just so nice to drive.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    I’ll have to give that a try when I get a chance.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    thing with the chain on this one, it can be sloppy and won't affect how it runs all that much since the timing is triggered off the crank. The slack won't affect it. Easy enough to see if you need to worry though. Pull the distributor cap off and put a breaker bar on the crank pulley. 15/16" IIRC. Rock the crank back and forth and note how far it goes before the rotor moves. A tight chain will have very little crank movement before the rotor moves.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by atlantic3000 View Post
    my 83 has one fuel pump in tank. had a 87 f150 with 2 a while back.
    usually the no spark is either the module on the fender or the crank sensor.
    sometimes the module box leaks goo down the fender when its going bad. but not every time.
    sometimes the bad parts act up due to heat.

not related to current issue but if it has never had timing chain done do it now since they used aluminum nylon top gear and streatchy single row chain.
    at same time good idea to do water pump. hoses t stat and fan clutch if old. you dont want it to jump time and fill pan with nylon and aluminum.
    The fender module is less than a year old per records I have. I’m fairly certain it’s the failing inertia switch since the previous owner was having issues with it. I have a new one on the way. I don’t know that it was a no spark issue, I was assuming it was lack of spark before I messed with the inertia switch. I’ve had it poop twice on me in a week and a half.

Also I’m guessing the timing chain has already been done. I know about the nylon gear issue and I can’t imagine it made it this many miles running as good as it does on the original. Pretty much everything under the hood is fairly new or looks new including radiator hoses and vacuum lines.

Leave a comment:

• atlantic3000
    replied
    my 83 has one fuel pump in tank. had a 87 f150 with 2 a while back.
    usually the no spark is either the module on the fender or the crank sensor.
    sometimes the module box leaks goo down the fender when its going bad. but not every time.
    sometimes the bad parts act up due to heat.

not related to current issue but if it has never had timing chain done do it now since they used aluminum nylon top gear and streatchy single row chain.
    at same time good idea to do water pump. hoses t stat and fan clutch if old. you dont want it to jump time and fill pan with nylon and aluminum.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    The early ones were made a little different. I have a set from an 82 on my car and they're good. Not that they do anything, I don't have keyless on my car, but the trim panel was nice. Its one of the things I've been meaning to add for years now. Have the module somewhere and I recently got the connector to mate up to that early door button set.

Leave a comment:

• slack
    replied
    Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
    I'm really surprised at how good of shape the keyless entry buttons are in and that the previous owner had the code. I've seen early 90's cars where the buttons were drying out and getting brittle, or were at least faded beyond reading.
    Yeah, the buttons on my 97 Town Car back on 2006 were all faded and cracked already and it wasn't even 10 years old at the time.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Oh, so the digi dash was standard on IV's?
    Yes according to at least the 1980 brochure I have and the 1983 brochure I've seen online the digidash was standard on the Mark VI. I've also noticed that my base model has a chrome trim ring around the wood grain whereas the signature series had gold trim.

I'm really surprised at how good of shape the keyless entry buttons are in and that the previous owner had the code. I've seen early 90's cars where the buttons were drying out and getting brittle, or were at least faded beyond reading.
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 07-06-2021, 05:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    I think so, analog VI are very uncommon. The interior from my car came from an analog dash 1983 Signature. Unfortunately some dick pried the radio out of the dash with a crowbar and destroyed the piece of trim where the tripminder buttons go, so I have a piece of holy trim in that location. Have not been able to find the correct non-digital panel. Signature woodgrain is also slightly different than standard which makes it even more rare.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Oh, so the digi dash was standard on IV's?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X