Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercurygm88
    replied
    I got the new power antenna installed and working today. That took all off maybe 20 minutes.

Now I’m just waiting on the little switch cover I ordered that’s missing.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by jaywish View Post
    so it has one power for up and one for down with a ground through the body?
    I have no idea how it works. I don’t normally mess with electrical stuff. It has a red wire and a light green wire.

Leave a comment:

• jaywish
    replied
    so it has one power for up and one for down with a ground through the body?

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    There are a couple motors so make sure you have the right one. early vs late, 2 wire vs 3. There is some way of converting from one to the other but offhand I don't know what it is.

pop the trim piece off the outside. Under that you'll find a nut that holds it in place. Inside the trunk there is a bracket off the side of the motor that screws to a brace in the trunk. basically unplug stuff and remove the fasteners and it comes out. Not involved at all.

Whats actually wrong with it? The masts can be replaced, but again differences from early to late. If it doesn't operate, make sure the switch or relay is good. Not sure what the 83 used for that. My 84 Conti is auto up / auto down using this goofy relay that is triggered off the power wire for the premium sound amp. If that happens to be the case on the 83, and if they didn't hook up the trigger wires properly it won't run the antenna.
    The one I ordered is the same part number and two wire like the one in the car. It uses a dash switch to the right of the climate controls. I have power going to the motor but it does nothing.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    There are a couple motors so make sure you have the right one. early vs late, 2 wire vs 3. There is some way of converting from one to the other but offhand I don't know what it is.

pop the trim piece off the outside. Under that you'll find a nut that holds it in place. Inside the trunk there is a bracket off the side of the motor that screws to a brace in the trunk. basically unplug stuff and remove the fasteners and it comes out. Not involved at all.

Whats actually wrong with it? The masts can be replaced, but again differences from early to late. If it doesn't operate, make sure the switch or relay is good. Not sure what the 83 used for that. My 84 Conti is auto up / auto down using this goofy relay that is triggered off the power wire for the premium sound amp. If that happens to be the case on the 83, and if they didn't hook up the trigger wires properly it won't run the antenna.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
    Box TCs have them too. Mine has two per seat, one forward and one back.
    Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
    I guess I’ll have to crawl under there and see how many bulbs there are.
    more upscale Towncars had it, cheapie base models did not. Wiring was there though. The lights under my Mark VI Signature seats plugged right in.
    Fun fact about those lights....the mounting points are present on cvs and grand marquis seat bottoms. The harnesses are not though. I installed them into my car.

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    Beautiful Lincoln! That's gonna be a nice boulevard cruiser/show car.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Has anyone here ever changed the antenna motor on one of these? I have a NOS one coming. But I haven’t really looked at how the old one is held in.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    more upscale Towncars had it, cheapie base models did not. Wiring was there though. The lights under my Mark VI Signature seats plugged right in.
    There are in fact two lights under each seat and they’re all working. I got the hood and glove box light going. Glove box was a 194 bulb directly behind the switch. I don’t recall what finally fit in the under hood socket, 63 I think? It took several tries. I also got the door striker bushings on. As soon as I get that exhaust leak fixed I should be good for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
    I guess I’ll have to crawl under there and see how many bulbs there are.

Leave a comment:

• Lutrova
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    you're going to make me go open mine up aren't you? I'm picturing the bulb plugging literally into the back of that switch. The only wires feeding in are the power wires. I think there might be a little plastic hood or something over it but I really don't remember for sure. Not impossible 83 is slightly different though.
    It may be right in the back of the switch that would explain how I missed it. I’ll look again tonight when I do the door striker bushings.

I was really surprised to find lights under the seats. Is that a Mark VI specific feature? Or do box Town Cars have those too?
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 06-30-2021, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    you're going to make me go open mine up aren't you? I'm picturing the bulb plugging literally into the back of that switch. The only wires feeding in are the power wires. I think there might be a little plastic hood or something over it but I really don't remember for sure. Not impossible 83 is slightly different though.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    yeah its the same bushings as all the rest of the boxes.

Push the little tabs in at the corners of the glove box and flip it all the way out. Should be able to see whats going on in there at that point. I seem to remember the bulb lives right near the little button that turns it on.
    I’ll have to grab some of those bushings. I had the box flipped down and still couldn’t find the bulb. The wires run from the switch back down somewhere behind the dash.

I did manage to get a cigarette lighter socket wired in so I can at least charge my phone. Then I found out the aftermarket head units USB ports not only functions as a charging port but also as an aux port. I figured it was only an audio in if I used a flash drive. Shows what I know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X