1967 Mercury Cougar XR7 - Project Green Kitty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Thanks for the update. Cougar is looking great.
    Thanks! Much appreciated!
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Hi Folks! Sorry for the long period between updates. Have been regularly plugging away as I am able to. A frustrating process at times as I discover more and more things missing like random screws and trim pieces. These are the risks of keeping a project in the same shop as several other projects! I have all the body panels installed and am trying to get all of the trim on and then reassemble the interior.

In the 1 step forward, 2 steps back column, I will need to remove my door panels again, readjust my driver's door to stop it from rubbing on the rocker panel, and reaffix the weather stripping around that door. I also need to adjust my fenders slightly so the hood fits a bit better. Then install the wipers, washer lines, etc.

Mechanically, needs the idle and mixture adjusted and an oil change. The C4 is a little leaky and slips when it's cold, but it's been sitting for years. I'll top up the fluid and have to get driving a little to see what it's actual condition is.

I'll take some pics the next time I'm at the shop. Haven't been documenting as much as I would like due to lack of time.
      ************************************************** ******************************
      1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Any of those old ford transmissions benefit form am oil cooler.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          Any of those old ford transmissions benefit form am oil cooler.
          That is on the list of potential upgrades I'm investigating.

Comment

Hey everyone! Still alive and still working on the car. Another text update. Been having issues with attaching photos. I'll sort that out one day though!

Car is mostly assembled save for a few trim pieces and interior panels. Driver's door needs a bit of adjusting as I have some slight rub on the door sill.

Transmission Update:

Checked the fluid level at hot idle in park, as per dipstick instructions (always listen to a dipstick). Bone dry. Slowly added what amounted to a full quart of Type F ATF. It's now sitting at the full indicator and it has massively improved the driving experience. No slipping, no whining in reverse, kickdown works perfectly. Why, I'd say the car is almost fast.

Cooling Update:

I have purchased a new aluminum radiator to hopefully address the hot idle issues I've been having. Fan and shroud upgrade keeps her cool while she's driving, but once she's warm she gets toasty sitting still. The hot idle was a little low too, so I've upped that by about 100-150 rpm, which may also help move more air. I bought an ACP Radiator, which has stamped tanks to match the stock look. I painted the radiator black (except the fins) to help preserve some of the stock look.

Vapor Lock Update:

Hard fuel line from the pump hugs up against radiator hose going into the radiator. This is hot. Fuel has ethanol, which drops the boiling point. Bad combo for hot restarts. I installed a tacky insulator over the line and that's solved the problem. Only issue is now the fuel line looks like it's wearing a space suit from a 1950s b-grade sci fi movie. But it's a small price to pay for an easy fix to an annoying problem.

Comment

Sounds like it's "just drive it" time. Nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                Sounds like it's "just drive it" time. Nice.
                Yeah we're pretty well there. Just have to do the rad install before I feel good about driving it anywhere I may have to stop in traffic. Got delayed as I needed a new fan spacer. It arrived yesterday so I'm in business now!

Plus a bunch of other stuff but I'll update as I go.

Heres some pics: Click image for larger version

Name:	20240529_194043.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	1398064

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240601_181701.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	1398063

Comment

Working...
                X