No announcement yet.

Ian's Boxy Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your video was a real treat. "Gee, I hope I remember where everything goes" - wonder how many times I've said that!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

not to sound like a wet blanket here, but why the 92 as a donor? Its got the weakest of the 4.6 engines and the same undersized front brakes you have now. I'm not a 4.6 fan anyway but if I were going to all the effort to jam one in, it would be a late one that actually makes more power than a stock HO does.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It was the cheapest Aero in my area by quite a bit.
        Plus it's low mileage (106K miles) and a rust free Arizona car.
        Besides, having the later chassis with its motor and trans mounts and electronics sets the foundation for a better 4.6 or 5.4 down the road.

Comment

Same chassis. The motor mounts just unbolt, putting a 302 in an aero is just 3 bolts on each side to swap the motor mounts. they go in the same holes. Could go the other way too if you wanted.

I realize my disdain for the modular isn't an overly popular opinion, so don't take it as me crapping on your project.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well it's been a bit since the last update so here is where I am.
            Starting to strip out the parts I may need for the chassis swap. That includes the dash and all of the interior wiring all the way back to the inertia switch in the trunk.
            I hope to swap the 92 dash into the 79 CS and that includes the steering column. I plan to delete the air bags for safety (I know-sounds weird but the air bags aren't designed for the heavier and slightly different wagon) but I need the electronics for the dash and speedo.

Interior strip in progress.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230526_222654600.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	620.1 KB
ID:	1389159
            Front end coming apart.

Name:	PXL_20230531_173831069.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	484.9 KB
ID:	1389160​​​​​​​Anybody in Southern Alberta need aero body parts?
            Attached Files

Comment

Speaking anecdotally here, as I haven't done what you're doing:
              • You will run into issues fitting and attaching the dashboard. There was a firewall (and floor pan) re-design for model year '90, and the items which fit prior to that year do not fit after that year without some tinkering. The HVAC plenum assembly is different, but I'm not sure how much and in what ways. User Mr Bean did a lot of related work in the course of getting the Mod Box to its current state (relatively recently so skim backwards from the end of the thread) in this thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...9497-New-ride=
              • I am fairly confident that the air bag used in the steering wheel of a '92 is the same one used in a 90-91, which was indeed engineered for a wagon, and I am also fairly sure that your reasoning for deleting the airbag is maybe not sound. There are other very legitimate reasons to delete the airbag, however, such as it simply being old. I would consider it effectively neutered by simply unplugging it.
              • The wagon and sedan frames are not the same over- and aft of the rear axle. The work to chop and mate pieces of each frame has been done by user pantera77 and you can see photos of that process in this thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...ony-park-build
              • You can probably make some decent cash selling the fenders to someone in Ontario, as they're so rare that people will pay the value of an entire car for them if they're rust-free and nice.

Current driver: wagon
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Lots of good info there!
                I knew the rear portion of the frame was going to need work and it's great to have that thread with pictures to reference.
                I plan on just unplugging the airbag in the steering wheel and deleting the passenger side.
                As far as the dashboard I figured on re-working some stuff and I don't think the dash and the a-pillars will match up. The Mod Box thread has inspired me and I have read and re-read it.
                Shipping fenders? Isn't the shipping going to kill the wallet? If there is any interest I can post up pics once they come off.

Comment

Considering your location, you could probably sell the fenders locally and even if you shipped within reasonable areas (Canada), the people that would buy them will pay for the shipping as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Could go the other way too if you wanted.
                    Do you think a 4.6 would fit in a box? Evaporator box and wiper cowl -thing come to mind.
                    I'm just curious knowing the possible fate of my 302...
                    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post

Do you think a 4.6 would fit in a box? Evaporator box and wiper cowl -thing come to mind.
                      I'm just curious knowing the possible fate of my 302...
                      Yes. See ModBox.
                      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...-grand-marquis

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I'm waiting on a 7.3 Godzilla swap.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Swapped to an aero evap box and no wipers? I guess that's a no from me then... For now.
                          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

A Godzilla swap seems more space friendly, even though the engine is tall, it's still more compact than a 4.6. Just need a low profile intake and then party.

Obviously LS swaps have been done. (On a long enough timeline, everything gets an LS it seems.)

351w swap is pure bolt on.

Comment

while I appreciate the LS, if its not in a Chevy or at least a GM product it doesn't belong there.

Comment

Well here is what's left of the Crown Vic that I am not keeping.
                                Everything I want or feel I need is now in storage-time to discard the shell.

Name:	PXL_20230608_201844824.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	1389348

Comment

Working...
                                X