driver window randomly rolling down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driver window randomly rolling down

This is on any panther with a one-touch module for rolling the window down.

Seems mine has a ghost in it. On the way to work this morning, it rolled the window down about half way.... I rolled it back up... then about 10 seconds later it rolled down about 1/5... back up. Then about 15 seconds later it cracked the window open. Rolled back up and hasn't done it since (so far).

Anyone else ever seen this behavior? I think the one-touch module is the most likely suspect. Maybe some bum caps in it. I'll take it out this weekend unless it start being bad again sooner.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Will you take it apart if you pull the module? I assume they're not meant to be serviceable, but it'd be interesting to see what the innards look like, especially if it's junk anyway.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Yep! Sounds like a short in the "one touch" module supplying power when the switch is untouched.
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Can't be a short since it's momentary and recovers. If it was shorted, it would want to roll down the window all the time. This is what makes me think it's a capacitor issue.

And yes, if I take it out, I will figure out how to take it apart without destroying it so I can replace any bad caps and put it back in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I'm betting on the switch itself being flukey, either has a broken spring inside that lets the contacts randomly bounce together or it got wet and has a leakage path.

The modules open easily, I've got one laying around here. Its a board inside a plastic box, kind of like the air bag module or whatever.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pulled the module out. Can't just leave things alone. Found some peeling silkscreen and the solder on the cap in the middle was a little sketchy. Found a few possible static/leakage paths. Removed them and put solder on the exposed traces. Silkscreen rot sucks. Anyhoo... all the film caps are 104 and the electrolytic is 47uF 16V. The electrolytic rang out at 45uF... so meh. All of the film caps only read 67-74nf when they should be closer to 100nf. Still not bad enough to cause trouble though. They are 30% out though. But until they get to be about 40-50% out, they should still work if the circuit is set up for nominal values and not already working with reduced value caps for cost savings.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
              Yep! Sounds like a short in the "one touch" module supplying power when the switch is untouched.
              Mis spoke - meant to say an intermittent short. A full short would do as you said. Do let us know the "culprit" when you find it.

Comment

Look at the backside PCB pic. That long section of trace that has solder on it now was black rotting silkscreen. There was some areas in that length that were overlapping nearby traces. Good idea that might have been the issue. We'll see. If I have more troubles, I'll bypass the module. Found out the driver read window motor is locked up as well, so I'll have something else to mess with this weekend as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  Look at the backside PCB pic. That long section of trace that has solder on it now was black rotting silkscreen. There was some areas in that length that were overlapping nearby traces. Good idea that might have been the issue. We'll see. If I have more troubles, I'll bypass the module. Found out the driver read window motor is locked up as well, so I'll have something else to mess with this weekend as well.
                  Did take a look and it appears the backside of the board does look a little freaky. Curious if it can be fixed without bypassing the module.

Comment

Looks like removing the crusty silkscreen and soldering the exposed traces fixed it. I did clean up the solder joints on the capacitor in the center a little more after the picture too. Looks better now. So far so good today.

As for Thain's theory about the switch... if that was the case, the window would have gone all the way down a few times as it would have triggered the one touch, so I figure that was ruled out.

Since there was suspect corrosion under the silkscreen, and that's been removed... I'm hopeful that the issue is solved.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      looks like removing the crusty silkscreen and soldering the exposed traces fixed it. I did clean up the solder joints on the capacitor in the center a little more after the picture too. Looks better now. So far so good today.

As for thain's theory about the switch... If that was the case, the window would have gone all the way down a few times as it would have triggered the one touch, so i figure that was ruled out.

Since there was suspect corrosion under the silkscreen, and that's been removed... I'm hopeful that the issue is solved.
                      Excellent!!

Comment

So far so good. No issues since. *knocks on wood*

Comment

Working...
                        X