How can I fix my gear shifter its off by one, odrive is d and so on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I fix my gear shifter its off by one, odrive is d and so on

On the two door thats all that needs reapair besides vinyl top. Needs new spring and shocks all around cause they are soft and I mean they bounce and sag i think even thou i saw the car weds i dont rember it haha
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

The gear indicators on these cars are just a pointer on a spring with a cable that goes to a clamp on the steering column. That clamp has apparently gotten out of place on yours, which they often do. It's really a pretty Mickey Mouse setup if you ask me. I've tried to fix it on both my cars, but I can't get it to stay so I just gave up. Just count the detents and you'll be fine.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I shoulda took pics when I changed mine....

The collar on the column breaks. Take your column cover off, you'll see a broken white plastic collar with a cable on it. Take out the screw. Put a ziptie around it, thru the holes...don't tighten it all the way right away. Just snug it a little. Now move it around and move the shifter till you get it where you want it, then tighten the zip tie up.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

What he said. Did it on mine and a couple others. Stupid problem but an easy fix.

Pic of the broken white collar.

Thats where it lives in the column. You can get at this from underneath, no need to take the covers off the column.
        Last edited by gadget73; 04-06-2007, 03:09 AM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What they all said. Or save up for a Lokar tailmount shifter like the Cali kid with the 91 cop car.

Comment

whats a Lokar tailmount shifter
            sigpic
            1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Floor shifter from lokar....mounts to the back of the tranny. The tail shaft housing.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Originally posted by boXman View Post
                I shoulda took pics when I changed mine....

The collar on the column breaks. Take your column cover off, you'll see a broken white plastic collar with a cable on it. Take out the screw. Put a ziptie around it, thru the holes...don't tighten it all the way right away. Just snug it a little. Now move it around and move the shifter till you get it where you want it, then tighten the zip tie up.

DITTO I did that way back in high school and its still workin .that plastic coller is a peace of junk it breaks so yeah wrap it with that zip tie ...best fix ever!
                YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Working...
                X