Restoreing '79 Steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoreing '79 Steering wheel

Im restoring a '79 steering wheel for my merc, any way im wondering what the best paint would be to paint it with, that wouldent flake off?,, Im going to fix the crackes with body filler and sand it all down nice, or is there somthing else i should use??

and would that notch be for one of those steering knob things?

I know the trick for restoring steering wheels on old tractors was always to fill the cracks with JB Weld. I never did it so I don't know how well it'd work, but it's worth keeping in mind, at least.

I don't know much about interior work like that, but I know you can dye armrests and dashpads and such...couldn't you do something similar with a steering wheel?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

ya i was thinking of painting it then clear coat

Comment

Better off using an epoxy or resin.

Gonna be tough to match the texture of the rest of the wheel.

No clue of what that notch was for.

haven't been able to find a decent one on ebay or in the junkyards I take it.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

no im not having much luck, this is the best one i could find

Comment

Yeah use fiberglass resin. A standard plastic filler will just chunk off in a couple of months.
            2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

I have a similar question. The vinyl on my wheel is fine, but the leather cover is wearing down to black on the edges and has a hole in it where you can see the white layer of the leather. I'm guessing you can just have the leather redone, but I have to be difficult and want to have the hold patched in and, then have it repainted. Anyone had this done, or know about leather repair in general? I'm very attatched to this wheel and don't wanna get a replacement.
              sigpic
              1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Leather repair is insanely expensive. It can be done, but you're talking 200 bucks or more.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

ok ill try some jb weld or epoxy then,, ill let you guy's know how i make out

Comment

Yeah, good splined wheels seem to be about as common as hens' teeth, so I'll probably be trying the same thing on mine one of these days. Good luck!!
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave84 View Post
                      Im restoring a '79 steering wheel for my merc, any way im wondering what the best paint would be to paint it with, that wouldent flake off?,, Im going to fix the crackes with body filler and sand it all down nice, or is there somthing else i should use??
                      and would that notch be for one of those steering knob things?
                      Dave man, I got a guy down here that has the proper mixtures to colour that like new..... he has the dyes for it....as for the filling I really would need to see the damage in person to see how to fix it.....however you need cyanacrolite. That must be one of the ingredients in the repair compound... as for the notch that appears from the pics where the leather wrap has shrunk with the wheel...you mak have to rewrap it or delete the leather if possible.

Good luck

ps hows the springs comming?lol

Comment

If yall think that one looks bad, you should see mine now.

Teh leather is still mint. The plastic is cracked all to heck. I don't think mine is even repairable. The plastic is not only cracked, but also raised and lowered and all out of wack so it could never be smooth again.

And not a single Ford dealer in North America has those cruise control peices that retain the cruise buttons.

Check your Ford dealership parts department, Dave. They list 'em online, not really that expensive unless you want leather.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I looked into this awhile ago for various parts on the car, including the stalks and cruise switches. They are covered in a process called vacuum plating or vacuum metallizing. It seems pretty expensive but good resto shops will fill cracks, and repair peices and then replate them. They come back like new. I haven't the means to try it yet and am leary or shipping any of my parts out to someone. Anyone tried this yet? As for the damaged leather, I'm thinking I'm going to just save up and have it repaired professionally at some point.
                          sigpic
                          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                            And not a single Ford dealer in North America has those cruise control peices that retain the cruise buttons.
                            Was there another place they put the cruise control buttons on some models?

btw, I'm open to leads on early-style multifunction switches that include the horn
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I just made my own switch for cruise control and will rid myself of the hideous stock wheel.
                              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                              X