Overhead Interior project/experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overhead Interior project/experiment

in my quest to clean up my interior from cludder, time to experiment with something new.

im picking this up

and looking to do this with it

its from a 1st gen explorer.

this is what my current overhead looks like

not including the scanguage2 which looks like this

the GPS unit is probably gonna stay where it is, or move a bit but will remain on the outside probably.

since im gonna have to remove my headliner anyways to install my GPS antenna (drilled into the rooftop)
    then ill install this at the same time, and reinforce it while its out, then put it all back inside the car. looking at the distance then ill be able to use the existing overhead from the new overhead to replace the overhead OEM lights already installed.

this is the antenna i have on order

im gonna have to get like a solid black peice of plastic to replace the HVAC controls, cut out the size needed for whatever is going there (the Sat radio or the scanguage) then attach that to the underbelly of the housing, then install it up.

basically, match up installation of items being tossed in, cut, adapt etc.
    pull the headliner, install a reinforcement for a sturdy install
    predrill holes in headliner to bolt up the console
    run wires up to top, tape them up to keep it solid
    run wires thru headliner, then put headliner back up
    plug everything in, then screw in the console.

just off the top of my head anyways

well any metal that may be needed is gonna be under the headliner so it wont be seen.

i jsut went out to do a visual estimated measure. going by the pic above, using the HVAC as a common size peice (probably the same as the HVAC in my car) it looks like it may just fit ok and not interfere with the visors. i may have to push it back a small amount (as you can see, it rounds to a point in the front) so as it gradually gets larger it may very well clear it ok. depends on how thick it is too. i cant really guestimate how long its gonna be going back yet but it may go past the overhead lights just a tad, so i may have to extend the wires to the ines in the new console to reach to not lose that functionality.

edit
    going by the same basic theory, its going to push the overhead lights back about a half an HVAC length from where it is now

that spot above, represents the location of the wire, which is closest to the front of the vehicle. unknown where the wiring clips would be on this one, probably towards the front as well.
    also, i have to worry about the slope on the front of the console as it may be different than on the vic, so i may have to shave that to be less of a slope or something like that and it will affect the length estimate i have now a bit too, prob by 2-3 inches shorter than my guesstimate

1999 P74 HPP 3.27 RAR

It would be nice to do something like that so I can install a radar detector.

Comment

the only problem is you cant install a radar detector in that console...unless you get that one thats all seperate components where you place the sensors in the front end. but that thing aint cheap either. if my GPS fits well i may just put the GPS in it...since i got the antenna coming. i dunno, im still waiting for the damn seller to give me a shipping total and its been over a week now, so it may be delayed until i can find another overhead console cheap again in gray.

1999 P74 HPP 3.27 RAR

Comment

i was sort of thinking mark vii console, but those incorporate into the visors, and i'd need to do a bunch of custom whackiness to make it look right. I could use something overhead as well, but i'd need to find something more squared off to match up with the rest of the dash. Roundy parts in something with a square flat dash would look silly.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How hard would it be to make the overhead console a/c controls function? Seems like it would be nice to have something kinda different like that. Then you could put either your satellite radio or your Scangauge down there.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboFriendly View Post
            How hard would it be to make the overhead console a/c controls function? Seems like it would be nice to have something kinda different like that. Then you could put either your satellite radio or your Scangauge down there.
            thats gonna be a no no...all those vaccumm lines, not saying its impossible, but i am not going thru all of that hassel. besides, the Digi unit is too deep to put up top, that one up there is a thinner unit from my guesses.
            the seller just emailed me today so i know how much to pay them, so looks like the week after this one ill be able to start on this project

1999 P74 HPP 3.27 RAR

Comment

I have no vaccum lines on my heater controls... :p

Yes, the Vic does..
              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I figured it'd be hard/impossible, but I still think it'd be real neat. I hit my head on my stock overhead console enough as it is, I don't need to add to it, or I would try something like that.

Comment

god dammit! its too fucking wide. wont fit between the sunvisors. now i gotta find out what overhead will fit up there perfectly...or im gonna have to start looking for some alternative concepts.

1999 P74 HPP 3.27 RAR

Comment

Look into one from a '95+ Blazer.
                    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

this one is gonna be a possibility, out of a tahoe

1999 P74 HPP 3.27 RAR

Comment

Hey tackleberry, how about this one?

It's out of an '03 MGM so I figure it'd fit your car perfectly. By the way, I like your idea a lot... I'm considering my own version of this for my '88 LTC project. Keep us updated!

Comment

what about a re-design of the sunvisors???

Comment

sunvisor redesign is out, as i have the home link in it, and im gonna need it soon, other wise id toss it out. i need a console that is no more than 6 inches in width

1999 P74 HPP 3.27 RAR

Comment

Are the Whale-body visors wider than the earlier models?
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X