CB Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB Questions

Just got myself a CB radio from 87mefull, a Realistic TRC-474 40 channel radio.

Questions:

Do CB antennas need to be perfectly vertical, or can they be angled slightly?

Can I put two short antennas flanking the trunk? I want to avoid a whip if possible.

What's the shortest CB antenna I can get? Will motorcycle CB antennas work on a car?

I know nothing about CB radios, have always wanted one. I ain't gotta clue how to use it. Tips and info please!

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Pretty much any antenna will work, trunk or roof mounted. You're going to want a single antenna setup, as dual antennas are a pain in the ass to tune properly. I would recommend something like a Wilson 1000 on a car, it's not horribly long or ugly and performs very well. The antenna can be at an angle. Just remember: ground, ground, ground. Make sure there's good chassis ground for that sucker or you will get antenna noise from hell. Run the CB power and ground straight to battery if possible to help eliminate noise from the electrical system as well[read: alternator]. And careful not to hook it up backwords, or you will blow the protection diode and possibly more internally.
    sigpic
    https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
    1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
    1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
    2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
    2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

Duals need special cable harnesses and are touchy to tune. They're also very directional. Longer antennas are generally better. The shorter it is, the more loading is required, and loading is lossy. I'd second the Wilson suggestion, just use a trunk lip mount or a magnet mount on the trunk. They work well without being tacky or requiring holes in the car.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

dual whips require certain distance between them, something that you can't really pull off in a car - hell even I can't get it right with the diesel, I need the wideass tow mirrors for that and to attach the antennas there. Keep a single, the longer the better, I got a 3ft on top of my cab and it works okay, 5.5ft one that's actually tuned for the SWR should make for some night and day differences tho.

Also, read here:
        Firestik antennas, mounting accessories and coaxial cables for CB and Amateur Radio communications and technical support information

Comment

"Candycane... Cannnnndddddyyyyyyy Caaaaaannnnneeee..."
          sigpic[LIST][*]99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor aka The Cruiser
          [*]87 Chevy 20 Van 350TBI
          [*]94 Mercury Grand Marquis aka Babyblue RIP
          [*]83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave 318 V8

Comment

:lol:

Comment

+3 on the wilson.........and make sure you set the swr's or you will cook the radio

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                dual whips require certain distance between them, something that you can't really pull off in a car - hell even I can't get it right with the diesel, I need the wideass tow mirrors for that and to attach the antennas there. Keep a single, the longer the better, I got a 3ft on top of my cab and it works okay, 5.5ft one that's actually tuned for the SWR should make for some night and day differences tho.

Also, read here:
                http://www.firestik.com/
                I read that Firestik thing, someone posted it on another CB thread. They said a minimum of 4 feet for duals, but the whole tuning thing still is a bitch...

Maybe I'll just do the one antenna set up and just add a dummy on the other side...I want it to look symmetrical.

sigpic
                - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

actually there is a rule of thumb i learned about dual antennas, and when i had a pair of 4ft fibreglass whips on the cobra i just sold tom, it worked great. first i used a split cable, obviously. the rule of thumb i was taught is that the distance between the two antennas must be equal or greater to the length of said antennas. so if you got a pair of 4footers, at least 4 feet between them.

i ran that setup on a couple of my old cars, and on a barefoot radio (non-modified) i was sending as far as 12miles, and hearing people from as far as 7 miles. people next to me had no problem listening, my swr's were properly tuned, everything was copecetic.

Comment

Lumpy, when you were tuning the dual antennas, did you do everything equally between them, or did you tune each antenna individually?

sigpic

Comment

I mounted my antenna dead center behind the rear window.
                      Attached Files
                      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                      sigpic

Comment

I have a cobra-19 40 channel with a s/s whip and 150 watt kicker. Can talk all around the states when skip is rolling. The higher the better if you really want to talk. If you just want to talk around town with your buddies get a firestick they work great. If you look hard enough you can see it on my sig...Don
                        Last edited by midwestLTD; 08-31-2008, 02:27 PM. Reason: Adding to it.
                        91 w/ 5.0 with eibach springs for a SS Impala ,hd police shocks on front w/big brake uprade,rear shocks for F-150 HD. Dual s w/ glass packs, 15X8 A/R Wheels 5% Tint on rear.http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...l.php?id=11699sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X