Shampooing a Carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shampooing a Carpet

I pulled out the carpet from my two door today and would like some pointers on shampooing it. What does it invole, what products do I use, and is it worth it? It is a little dirty, it is beige colored, and i don't really want to soak the entire carpet inorder to clean it. So what do you mangs suggest i do?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I pulled out the carpet from my two door today and would like some pointers on shampooing it. What does it invole, what products do I use, and is it worth it? It is a little dirty, it is beige colored, and i don't really want to soak the entire carpet inorder to clean it. So what do you mangs suggest i do?
    You could use one of those rug cleaners if you have one.

Comment

When I did mine, I laid the carpet out in the driveway and dumped a mixture of Resolve and water on it. I scrubbed it, then hung the carpet on the fence. I blasted it with a small electric pressure washer till the dirt stopped coming out of it. It took a couple days to fully dry out but the carpet came out as good as can be expected. All the stains went away at least. I have light grey carpet, which shows just as bad as beige.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What I do now is I use the shampooer, doing whatever method seems to work best. I use Bissell stuff with the Scotchguard in it which works well, and doesn't smell bad either. The final thing is I use a wet/dry shop vac to really pull all of the water out and lift up all the fibers. All the shampooers seem to have trouble picking up the water and when the carpet finally dries its all matted so the shop vac really helps. For touchups in between shampoos, I use Tough Stuff can cleaner.
        sigpic
        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

for small stains turtle wax has a great carpet cleaner. it got ground in grease out of my back seat.
          What happened here?

Comment

thanks for the help i will venture into this soon.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

well i put the carpet back a while ago, and i did not shampoo it because it came out rather clean after vacuuming it.
              ~David~

Comment

shoulda gave it a light cleaning anyway, would freshen up the interior of the car

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

You'd be surprised how much cleaner the carpet would be if you had shampoo'd it. I got a lot of shit out of the carpet with the carpet cleaner I used. Interior was really shiny, and it didn't smell at all. I need to clean it up again. Damn me not having a concrete driveway.

Comment

For getting small stains out this store-bought product is amazing:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Bisse...t_126458302084

Comment

Well, now i will be sure to do it at some point.

It can be done within the car as well right. I do not feel up to removing the entire lower half of the interior again.
                      ~David~

Comment

Working...
                      X