Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reupholster

Dear Panthers,
    I finally bit the bullet and am getting the Blvd Crsr's front seats reupholstered. Good local guy who understood when I said, "I want the front seats same as the back seats".
    Problem is material which he didn't have and he said marron was no longer fashionable (mostly greys and browns) and NOS is hard to find. He's looking. I'll keep you posted.
    Donald
    1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

will new foam be added underneath the soon to find new material?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

have him look through the "detroit books" these are books with modern materials that match the original materials
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

donald
        he needs to check with sms auto fabrics (503)263-3535 www.smsautofabrics.com
        350 south redwood st canby oregon 97013 .......they send free samples

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Scott is right, I sent away for cloth and vinyl samples from SMS Auto and they were dead on and very reasonable considering what you're getting.
          sigpic
          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Very neat link! As a matter of purely speculative curiosity, about how much would a person end up spending on reupholstering through these guys?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

From what I understand you'd buy the fabric by the yard and then just take it to whoever is going to do the work. The costs seem to vary but seemed reasonable. They even have an oem replacement vinyl top that I've been eyeing.
              sigpic
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
                From what I understand you'd buy the fabric by the yard and then just take it to whoever is going to do the work. The costs seem to vary but seemed reasonable. They even have an oem replacement vinyl top that I've been eyeing.
                Having worked in upholstery, I would recommend contacting a shop before you go off and buy material. Let them advise you on that. They are more likely to stand by their work if they select the material supplier.

Any upholstery shop should be able to get a full array of colors and fabrics. Might not match the original exactly (especially since your old cloth is faded) but there should be no problem obtaining some maroon velour.

Cost depends on what seat you have, I guess. For a big pillowy cloth front bench seat like in most of the merc's I see, I would think you'd spend in the $300-400 range.

Comment

Originally posted by pollock View Post
                  Having worked in upholstery, I would recommend contacting a shop before you go off and buy material. Let them advise you on that. They are more likely to stand by their work if they select the material supplier.

Any upholstery shop should be able to get a full array of colors and fabrics. Might not match the original exactly (especially since your old cloth is faded) but there should be no problem obtaining some maroon velour.

Cost depends on what seat you have, I guess. For a big pillowy cloth front bench seat like in most of the merc's I see, I would think you'd spend in the $300-400 range.
                  I definitely understand what you're saying. I eventually plan on at least buying the stuff to have my interior redone down the road but would consult with a shop to figure out how much I'd need. My car's Midnight Blue interior faded pretty decently over time so the sample that I received almost looks black when compared to the current fabric. The swatch they sent wasn't just plain velour though, the seat fabric has a recessed sort of dot pattern in them which I'm not sure is how easy to come by. The doors are regular velour though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pollock View Post
                    Ooh, good information (and great advice!). So I guess if I were to plan on up to $800 or so to redo a police-bucket interior, there'd be an actual chance of me coming up happy with the price.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

seat covers are my friend..even though i payed 100 dollars for a complete set.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Dear Penthers,
                        The upholstery guy provided eight swatches which I laid against the unfaded back seat to choose a fabric. The match was very close - miles closer than the difference between the present front and rear seats. He says he can do the work in one day and has estimated $450 - but that was for fabric he had in stock so I imagine it'll be more.

Donald McCaig
                        1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

Working...
                        X