sound deadener option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound deadener option?

LMC truck has a couple of different products. Anyone know if those deals are a decent amount of material for the price? Could a guy make the Bronco kits at the top of the page work for our cars? Would it be enough material? $70 per kit. Otherwise, it looks like $30 for a 4'x6' roll.

LINKY LINKY

I wouldn't fuck around. Just get Dynamat. Expensive but worth it.

Comment

Forget Dynamat. Get Second Skin.
      Second Skin Audio
      Bass Race Competitor - 140.0 - 149.9 class
      Tech Systems 12volt Audio and Accessories
      GroundPounderzInc Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia areas.

Comment

Both of those are too damn expensive for what I'm looking to do.

Comment

How about that foil faced asphault stuff used for roofing patch thats damn near identical to dynamat?

someone said I should post this up here for the ones that have not heard of it. Peel & Seal is the cheap alternative to Dynamat. This is the stuff you get from Lowes Hardware. It is the same as the original Dynamat but a lot cheaper. I started putting my fake Dynamat down. This is the stuff...
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Think there would be any health issues with using that stuff? My concern is the fibers and if there is a smell with it. Browsing that other thread at the moment.

Comment

I got a bulk pack of Dynamat Extreme on Ebay a few years back, I want to say for like $90. If you can find a good deal on it, I'd go for it. One box did my entire floorpan.
              sigpic
              1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Not sure about fumes or anything. The regular dynamat and others like it look a whole lot like that roofing material. I wouldn't be surprised if its exactly the same. I think I will pick up a pack of it to put in my trunk, so if you haven't purchased anything by then I'll let you know how it turns out for me. If it smells horrible when I open it, I'll just return the stuff.

Another thought, look up the MSDS for both dynamat and that roofing stuff and see how similar they are. That should be a fair indication of how close the goop in the middle is.
                Last edited by gadget73; 09-13-2009, 03:30 PM.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool. Thanks, Thain.

Comment

Well, I followed the links several sites out and found 4 or 5 guys who put it in their cars and claimed that there was no odor even in summer in Texas.
                    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27
                    6 / W / 3.73
                    2 / K / 3.55
                    A / - / 3.63
                    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by TechSys View Post
                      Forget Dynamat. Get Second Skin.
                      Second Skin Audio
                      +1. It's good shit!
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I used quick roof in my car....i had the healiner out of the car since March or so and NEVER smelt anything that i shouldnt have smelt. It gives off no smell whatsoever.

See:

And since i have no interior in my car i decided to add sound deadening to it. I used a product called "Quick Roof" found at Home Depot. It goes on very easy, you cut it to size roll it on and you are done. It made a tremendous difference. I think it is really worth it. I was notified of a product called Protecto Wrap or something similar that is the same price for 25 more feet of material but the thickness between the two products in non comparable. Quick Roof has it beat.

I sound deadened the roof and the interior 1/4 panels so far.

[/QUOTE]
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have a roll sitting in my car now. Just poking a hole in the plastic wrap and having a good sniff doesn't make me notice any really noticeable odor. Its got a faint scent of plastic but that might be the wrapper.

Comment

This is going to be one of my first projects when I finally get time to resurect the 74 plymouth fury.

It has always been such a nice car, but it had almost no sound deadener in it. It sounds like a tin can, when it's raining.
                            Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                            AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                            Open/Lock/Ratio #
                            -----------------------
                            G / H / 2.26
                            B / C / 2.47
                            8 / M / 2.73
                            7 / - / 3.07
                            Y / Z / 3.08
                            4 / D / 3.42
                            F / R / 3.45
                            5 / E / 3.27