'79-'89 box dash removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
    since im removing anything blue from insside car to make romm for my bitter sweet red interior, i need to remove just the plastic part of the dash. i started aready to take it out but have to hold off on dropping the steering so i can still move the car around. i still need to get my '81 to the shop to strip the parts off.
    this may be kinda late, but you can drop the column, take the bulk of the dash out, then bolt the column back up, i actually did this a few days ago. I had alot of shorts and other "Q"s about what is behind it. The biggest deturant is trying to get the new dash in and lined up correctly. good luck!
    sigpic 1994 Lincoln TC executive

Comment

i guess i should have updated this along time ago but, this swap was not as hard as i thought it was gonna be. the only thing that was difficult was the headlight switch, so thats saying alot lol. everyone said to drop the steering column, i dident have to, the dash came out no sweat with the steering in place. all in all it was well worth it to get the new color of dash and right dash pieces in the car

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        i guess i should have updated this along time ago but, this swap was not as hard as i thought it was gonna be. the only thing that was difficult was the headlight switch, so thats saying alot lol. everyone said to drop the steering column, i dident have to, the dash came out no sweat with the steering in place. all in all it was well worth it to get the new color of dash and right dash pieces in the car
        this is the same problem I am having. Do you really have to unscrew those 4 screws behind the headlight switch cover?

I having trouble finding a tool that gives me torque and/or room to unscrew them so that i can unscrew the screw under the instrument cluster so that I can pull the dash out so that I can replace this heater core.

Comment

no need to remove the headlight switch cover on 89 down. Just the instrument cluster cover. The knobs for the headlight switch should come off with a set screw or spring clip via a T6 (or same size hex - dunno the size) or a small flat screwdriver to press the spring clip to release it from the rod. Once the knobs are out of the way, push the rod back in and the panel cover should come off once the screws are out.

If that doesn't work for the knobs... you'll have to read up behind the dash and find the rod release button on the headlight switch assembly. Major PITA this.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X