Rattling Dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattling Dash?

Well...Basically Ive been hearing this rattling comming from behinfd the middle of my dash board for two days now and it's pissing me off because I can't find where its coming from...I don't know if its actually something behind the dash or under the car..etc...?

try pushing on parts of the dash trim. Might just be a loose screw. Rattles tend to move around with the temperature changes. The plastic contracts a bit and squeaks where it didn't used to.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yup..Will do....Im almost conviced its one of the Cats heat shields vibrating..or one of the air tubes that I tied up....Because the rattiling intesifies with the exhaust...and over bumps as well....But the whole exhaust system is tight and ok...Ill play with her some more tomorrow...

Comment

if it's the cat heat shields, then you could probably hear it at idle. When those things are loose, they will randomly vibrate and make noise, at any speed, even in park, and that's a distinct metallic noise.

Comment

I hate rattling.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            I hate rattling.
            Yup me too.....Im gunna go hunt for it now...Hopefully Il find it

Comment

I was looking in our work van the other day, an 05' Econoline and noticed some of the dash pieces have like, almost a flocking (that felt stuff in the glove boxes) on the edges of some of the panels. I'm guessing this was done to stop squeeks and rattles and was thinking about trying something similar with my Grand Marquis dash peices. My dash is warped in spots and can get pretty noisy in the winter months when all the plastic shrinks.

I do hate exhast ratlles myself. I replaced 3 year old cats because the brick was loose and it was driving me nuts. The new ones are ok, but the pass side makes a buzzing noise which I'm sure will wear on me in time.
              sigpic
              1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Well couldn't find anything on the dash or under it that was loose. But the sound only occurs when I accelerate and seems to rattle with the exhaust...whwn I lift off the accelerator the rattling goes away...So Im thinking it's the exhaust....And today since it's nice and warm out...She makes no noise at all....Ughhhh

Comment

Well I found the culpret....Stupid heat shield..I jacked the car up because I knew it would be one of the heat shields...And it was..The passenger side was pushed over against the frame of the car..So I just took it out...No more Rattling...LOL

Comment

success.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Now you can focus on driving enjoyment again.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

LOL....Really...

Comment

Originally posted by chitownvic View Post
                          Well I found the culpret....Stupid heat shield..I jacked the car up because I knew it would be one of the heat shields...And it was..The passenger side was pushed over against the frame of the car..So I just took it out...No more Rattling...LOL
                          My heat shields rattled too, but hey, atleast it wasn't a family of mice living in the dashboard like on my Buick....

Comment

Nope..LOL.....But I did have a hornets nest by the door latch....

Comment

Working...
                            X