Door won't lock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door won't lock.

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I can't figure out how to fix it. I have an 85 Town Car and my door doesn't lock. When I hit the switch, it sounds like the motor locks, but the little manual lock lever doesn't move and I can't pull it to lock it. It's like something's not engaged.

Two likely possibilities, both of which are best diagnosed with the door panel off:

1. Your door could be locking, but the little sliding lever near the window switches has just had the rod that connects it to the lock system fall out. This will not affect anything except your ability to manually lock with that lever. It may be as simple a fix as just pulling the door panel and sticking the rod back in, but there is a little funky shaped spring that needs to be in there.

2. The rod coming from the lock actuator itself (the little motor that moves the locking mechanism) has fallen out, and again this can probably be fixed by just putting it back in place, and should be relatively obvious with the door panel off.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I'm betting the lock motor seized up. When that happens, you can't move the manual lock knob. Pull the door panel and disconnect the lock motor. If the manual locks work, you have your answer.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yup, that was it. Thanks. I can at least lock my door now, albeit manually. lol.

Comment

fuck, my drivers door has this issue. i had the damn thing apart to change the window motor i hated this job so much that i put off the passsenger motor for 3 months now.
          My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

It's pretty easy, the actuator is all the way on the back, and all you have to do is reach in, pull the rod off, problem solved.

It's nice being able to actually lock my car now.

Comment

Working...
            X