removing headlight switch from 89 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing headlight switch from 89 Marquis

Help! We can't get the knob off to remove the trim from our 89 Grand Marquis. Saw another posting for a 91, where they indicated a switch release, but seems that the 89 is different. Please help; we've got parts everywhere!

The release button is on the actual headlight switch. It is a little push button that then allows you to pull the knob out. You have to contort your body and hand up behind the dash and feel for the little spring button. It is either on top or on bottom of the headlight switch. If you have another switch in your hand you can see the little button you have to press.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thank you David..but we're having trouble getting to the switch. Remember this is an '88 Marquis. Do we remove the entire bottom panel in order to get behind the panel to get to the switch?

Comment

Some people have luck removing the kick plate under the steering column exposing the fuse box. Then they unscrew the fuse box and jamb their hand up near the headlight switch and try to depress the button simultaneously pulling out the knob accompanied by shaft. It is no easy task, this I can assure you.

EDIT: This may help you out: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...adlight+switch
        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 07-25-2010, 04:49 PM.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

thanks again, david! I think we're going to give up on this! I didn't mention that our ultimate goal was to get to the odometer; we were told that was causing the squeaking when driving. i failed to mention that i'm a mom and my 'mechanic' is my 17 year old! We gave it our best....guess we'll just live with the squeak...as that is probably a bigger problem trying to 'oil' than removing the darn light switch!! We've been working on this for several hours! Thanks again, though...we appreciate your efforts!

Comment

No problem. It is definitely put in a tight space. You can always go back at it another day if you don't get used to the squeak by then.
            ~David~

Comment

I did the swith in my 89 GM a few years back. it is the same as your 88.I found the easiest way to get at it was to remove the dash pad. Once that was out, there's an access hole in the side of the dash to get to the button. Also keep in mind, if you're replacing the switch, 99 times out of 100, the plug is melted. These are sold by most auto parts stores. What I like to do here, is to splice in ONLY the wire(s) that had melted/burned. The remaining ones I just transfer over, so as to have as few cuts/splices as possible.
              MIKE

Comment

Working...
              X